What's new

Original Apocalypse Now disc: Going OOP? (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Ok, I've not seen Redux yet and I've not purchased this film yet. So when Redux is released will the current edition be pulled?
If the original stays in stores (or stock is allowed to remain) I may have enough time to rent Redux and decide which cut I prefer and thus make my purchasing decision. If not, I'll probably pick up the original sometime soon.
Anyone got the scoop on this? Is Coppola gonna pull a Lucas on us and 'forever' deny us the original cut?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I don't have any proof but I would imagine that they'll leave the current version in print. Usually when they release a new version of a film on DVD, they'll announce that the previous release has been discontinued. And I haven't heard anything about them doing that, so I would guess that both versions will continue to be available for purchase.
Of course, a 3-disc set of both cuts of the film + the Heart of Darkness documentary + other extras would be most cool, but I'm sure rights and $$ would prevent that from coming to fruition.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The original will still be available. Paramount says they have no plans to revisit the titles later (though that could change in 5 years or so).
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I just got the original version just in case some studio executive changes his/her mind.
wink.gif

~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Coppolla has called the original version "permanently retired". Whether that applies to the DVD, I do not know.
However, I did see REDUX this past summer and not only did I find no improvement due to the additional scenes, I believe they severely marred the film. I have no desire to add this film in it's present "redux" state to my collection. I'm very glad to have the original version, in tact, and with the "alternate credits/destruction of Kurtz compound" ending where it belongs: as a deleted scene.
(And compared to all the lame sequences larded back into Redux, this alternate credits sequence is comparably brilliant.)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
The original disc of Apocalypse Now is not out of print yet and I would not expect it to be anytime soon.
First it would mark the first Paramount disc to be discontinued. I believe that this topic was addressed and the intention was to have both available, with the potential to revisit the Redux disc somewhere down the line.
-Chad

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The original disc of Apocalypse Now is not out of print yet and I would not expect it to be anytime soon. First it would mark the first Paramount disc to be discontinued....
What, exactly, is Paramount's policy?
Recently, there were reports that CHINATOWN had gone OOP. I went to the amazon.com site, and sure enough they said it was discontinued. I was relieved that I got this classic on its release, but I couldn't understand why Paramount would discontinue it. It is, after all, one of their greatest films.
And so I went back to amazon.com today and now they say it's a title of "limited availability" and that they are currently "out of stock".
Was the news of its discontinuance premature? Is it just that the first printing is now depleted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks