Ordering Paradigms?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Blech, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm just about to order the Paradigm Studio 100's along with the CC570. I have also decided for sure on the SVS PB2+. My question is, am I gonna be happy with those Paradigms? I understand that this is a rediculously subjective question, but I guess I am just looking for a little reinforcement on my decision. I was looking at the Rocket system (the 750 series) and the Klipsch refs, but thought that these Paradigm's might be better (I know that this is a terrible word to use, maybe I meant better quality?) speakers. Are they worth the extra $? I'm willing to spend it if they are. I will be using them for 80% HT and 20% music.

Also, do you think I will be as happy with these Paradigms as the Klipsch ref's (RF-7 and C-7)? I like an upfront sound, but the Klipsch are a little much. I'm hoping the Paradigms will be a good fit. I also love the look of those things!

Also, I'm sure my Denon 3802 would power the Rockets sufficiently, how will it do on the Studio 100's? Would I be better off going with the Rockets if my Denon will power them more efficiently? Or maybe I could go with the 4802?

Thanks for the help with my convoluted question, but I always get a little hesitant before purchases.

I should also add that my current system consists of some really old Technics fronts with a cheapy Cerwin Vega center and an $80 Costco sub. So I'm thinking this will be a bit of an upgrade. Please note my sarcasm.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Can any of us here answer that for you? [​IMG]

Find something that you're happy with the way it sounds. If you're not sure about a receiver/speaker pairing, and especially if you're going to be spending the money you are, find a place that sells them both and audition it. Or find a dealer that will let you do an in home audition. THe local Paradigm dealer here offers a 7 day return policy on all their equipment, so you can see how it integrates into your lifestyle, and your living space. Other dealers might let you take their demo home for the weekend to see how you like it.

Getting back to my initial point...spend your money on whatever sounds best...to you. You're the one that's going to be listening to them, not us.

3. Joe Blech

Do you think my 3802 is underpowered for these?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Nothing wrong with the speaker choice, should work great. No need to second guess on that choice.

IMO, you would be better off with the 4802 with those speakers, but the 3802 will probably do a acceptably (depends on how hard you will push them). The 3802 with an external amp will be just as good as the 4802, if not better, depending on the amp.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It sounds from your post that you've not really auditioned any of these? Without you hearing them first, it's impossible to predict what would be the best purchase for you...

I'm a big paradigm fan myself, though I did not buy the new V3 series. You have to do a very thorough audition to see what you like best, and find other brands as well. It's worth the time to find those speakers that just click.

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I agree with John. The 3802 should be plenty to do the 100s justice. Just know that in the future, one possible upgrade may be adding an amp to power the mains (and possibly the center). Look at that as a good thing. I first powered my 100's with a Parasound HCA-855 (85 wpc). It sounded really, really good. Do they sound noticably better now with Outlaw M200 monoblocks? Yep. Like I said, one possible upgrade for the future. Nonetheless, the speakers are a great choice among many great choices [​IMG] There are lots of Paradigm fans on this site, myself included, who would tell you that you'll be very happy with your purchase. But I'll concur with others who say that you'll only know once you hear for yourself. But one thing I can say definitively is that you'll be 100% satisfied with your choice of sub [​IMG]

7. Ken Janisse

Ken Janisse Extra

Joe,

I've had my Studio 100s (v2) for just about 2 years now. They are powered by my Yamaha RX-V3200 receiver. I am very happy with them. Just don't expect much bass response out of them when you first get them. Mine took a few months to break-in. The other day, just for fun, I turned off my sub and just ran the 100s on their own. The bass was almost as good as with my sub on! The break-in sure makes a difference.

They are great speakers!

8. Joe Blech

Thanks for all the great advice! I do need to do a little more auditioning before making a decision. I have heard other Paradigms in the past and have liked them. Gonna try to find someplace that has the 100's. Thanks!

9. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I'll be watching this thread, for I am thinking I'll eventually have the same system. Got the PB2+ and CC470, and the 100's are on target for next year. Considering Def Techs and PSBs as well though...

BUT, I will be auditioning at home any TWO speakers that I end up spending over 2.5K on! - I've sworn myself to that. My local HT shop says come on in on Saturday afternoon - they'll charge your card for the floor model 100's - you take them over the weekend and bring em back on Monday morning for the refund to the card. I think any reputable shop that HAS the models of your speaker would let you do this (maybe different if they had to order it in). Its good business practice. If they disagree, I'd unhesitatingly tell them you're taking your business elsewhere. This is not small change we're talking about. Speakers of this level, to me, are practically lifetime investments.

10. John Garcia

John
    That is good advice Keith. I got a pair of v3 40s for a week and a half from my dealer (no charge to the card, they just hang onto the number to insure you bring them back, and charge for damage if any). I ended up not buying them either... I agree, if they are not willing to let you take a pair to try out (without a good reason), you probably should look into other stores, even if that means a different brand of speaker.

Unfortunately, as many of us know all too well, Paradigm dealers are not a dime a dozen. If you want 'Digms, sometimes you have to put up with an average dealer (I experienced this in Austin). I have at least two very good dealers in my area here though [​IMG]

11. SteveL

SteveL Agent

Unless I am wrong, that center chanel speaker is very large. Hope your tv can support it. MY experience with Studio 40's is it takes about 100 hrs to break them in. Sounded a might harsh at first, but now fantastic pushing them with my Anthem Amp.

12. John Garcia

John
    The ones I brought home were their display pair, and were already well run in. IMO, no speaker really needs 100hrs to break in. Some break in yes, but that long, no. Not knocking them, because I liked them, but I preferred the sound of other speakers to them.