What's new

Ordering non-R1 DVD's.. what about customs ? (1 Viewer)

MarcW

Agent
I just bought a Malata DVP-520 that is in need for some non region 1 software. I want to order a bunch of DVD's from Germany (15-20) and was wondering about US customs. How much does customs charge for imported DVD's ? Is there a limit any one person can import and declare it for personal use ? Any advice highly appreciated.

-MarcW

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The limit if you're coming in on a plane is $400 of merchandise

I've never been charged anything by customs, and I've only ever heard of 1 case of anyone having ANY problems with customs, where his Japanese DVDs were held on suspision of being bootlegs (funny, they never stop the ACTUAL bootlegs). Currently customs still has his DVDs, but they sent him the cases! A friend reguarly imports thousands of $$ worth of DVDs for sale, and he's never had a problem

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
In many countries a VAT included in the price. When exporting, on-line shops don't have to charge international customers the VAT. So sometimes you actually have to pay less than is listed.
Most Australian on-line shops, like www.ezydvd.com.au and www.devoted.com.au have this policy toward international customers.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, MarkW:
AFAIK, unless you're a business, US customs won't bother you, unless they think you're doing something illegal, like importing dirty bombs or such. I've ordered stuff from Japan without problems. My wife has family in Japan, and we've received many packages without any issues. I think they're more concerned that the sender list everything.
I went to this link:
Link Removed
Apparently, the gist I read says that unless you're importing made-to-measure suits from Hong Kong, and it's for personal use, you have a $2,000 limit.
John.

Peter Jue

Stunt Coordinator
It seem that those whose packages are routed through Chicago may be hit by customs. Read this troubling AoD Thread where legit R2 Anime DVD's were confiscated. Hopefully this is just an isolated case by an overzealous customs officer.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Peter:
Damn, that guy got hit badly :frowning:. Makes me glad I live on the west coast. Somebody on the thread brought up the 'Asian writing == bootleg' bit. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the Customs Department's rules :frowning:. Hopefully he'll get his disks back.
John.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Chicago?

Check this cut and paste from DVDTalk:

deathboy

I had a hard time with customs recently with an HK order. I called around until I got a hold of the international mail office at O'hare airport. I explained that the DVD's were legit and from a legit reseller (HiViZone.com) and that there was no reason to seize them. Then I repeated. Repeated. Repeated. You get the point. Eventually, they gave up and decided to ship the DVD's out. I think I got lucky...

-- J. Robert Oppenheimer, July 16, 1945, 5:30am,Trinity Site

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Has anyone on the West Coast ever been hit by customs? Mine usually gets stuck in Louisville, Kentucky for three days until I call and COMPLAIN to release my package. The usual excuse is that they can't understand the invoice.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Where are you ordering your discs from?

All of the Japanese/HK orders I've gotten, at least from CD Japan for Japanese stuff have English and Japanese on them. If their customs people are too dumb to read english, they need new customs people

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
As per my post above, I haven't had any problems with customs. In fact, we often get packages the same week that they're sent out. I just ordered VERSUS and Kairo (Circuit) from CD Japan, so hopefully that will hold true. I had problems with CD Japan, but not customs, AFAIK.
John.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I have ordered from Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, Germany, UK, Australia, and Canada. The most I've ever had to do was sign for receipt of the package.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I've bought stuff from Australia, Germany, Japan, France and UK and New Zealand and never got hit once by any taxes or surcharges or customs. US customs are good, not a pain in the ass as the one in Britain.
Most companies write "Gift" on the declaration form, like DevoteDVD and Bensonsworld.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
My recent order from CDJapan came in three days from the day they shipped it, and customs didn't even touch it. I had them mark it as 'Gift'.

Lenny:

I noticed on your sig that you picked up Virus (R2). Is it worth the price? It's been a long time since I've seen it, and I've been thinking of getting it.

John.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
JohnAD, it's a great movie, for me anyway, because I like post-apocalyptic films, where something serious on a grand scale is happening, but most display only the aftermath, but majority of this movie, in the 50+ minutes that were added anyway, it is shown how the world is falling apart because of the plague, how people march and demand a cure, how piles of bodies in Japan are burned on the streets, things like that, it's great!
Two things to be aware of however, the second disc has, among other extra features, the original theatrical cut, 106 mins or so, and it's not a very good transfer, but it has original burned in locations and death toll subtitles, while the new 156 min cut is in such a great condition, just like, say any Dirty Harry movie, restored wonderfully, but the subtitles are only in Japanese, a big portion of the film is in Japanese and but you can mostly understand what's going on from emotions, etc, and majority of characters are british or english and speak accordingly. If you know Japanese, then this is the best version to get, if not, then decide for yourself. There is a 106 min cut on DVD in UK, and just J9 so maybe you could get that, but I've compared them and SO much great stuff is missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks