What's new

Ordered my Denon DVD 2900 (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I put down half the of the 899 that I will be paying for it... It should be coming in this weekend and I'll be mating it up to my brand new 60 inch Grand Wega II. I'll try and schedule an ISF calibration for next weekend and then I'll post a full review... in the meantime, I need to get some good interconnects...

I'm considering either:

Better Cable Silver Serpent Reference $199 (1m)
Straight Wire Mega HDS $175 (2m)

or maybe i will get both sets, one for HDTV and one for Progressive Scan DVD and do a comparison of the two...

Just a few questions from the members of HTF...
Are there any other cables I should consider? Consider the TV I've got and the DVD player I'm getting... are these cables a good match or do they exceed the abilities of the source and display?

Thanks all. I really appreciate your feedback and I'll try to get my review up as soon as possible.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Personally i dont subscribe to the belief that cables make THAT much of a difference. I use acoustic reasearch video cables, and i picked up some of their composite cables to use for the 6ch out on my player, and it works great.

you definitely hit a wall of diminishing returns quickly when it comes to cables, and i just dont think its worth it.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Cables smables,just get a good set thats shielded,about 30.00 bucks for a 1m pair,unless you got 50k in your system.Any good 14/12 guage sp wire,40.00 dollar sub cable.I have owned,and still do,cables costing hundreds of dollars,I have seen no improvement over what I started with. P.S.enjoy the 2900,I ordered one last week.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I use custom made component cables using Canare connectors and either Canare or Belden coax wire. These normally go for under $40 for a 1 meter run. IMHO, when you get more esoteric than that, you're paying for fancy materials. We're connecting HT gear here, not making jewelery!

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Like Peter said...

Belden wire and some better than average connectors. It does not get better than that.

Belden sells a wire called "Video Brilliance" which is shielded and all the rest...you can get a hundred feet for less than one pair of your cables.

Guess what Bettercables uses to make their cables? Belden.

And 4 good connectors (I think you can get them at Belden as well) should run a buck or two or three each.

Do the numbers. Spend your money on software. It's the only overpriced thing that really makes a difference;)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the reply guys... I think I should handle this the way I've handled most of my other doubts... by doing my own direct comparisons...

I'll most likely do a direct shoot out and compare the cables myself... I'll let my own eyes and ears decide. :)

Johnny

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I subscribe to the good cables camp. I highly reccomend catcables.com silvercats for the 5.1 outs and the bettercables components are great I have one of the new reference cables and is is beautiful!

I also ordered a 2900 and should get it by the weekend to replace my 1600! Very exceited!
Marc

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Johnny:

Good decision. I would order the Bettercables and let you eyes/ears make the decision. Bettercables comes with a money back guarantee so you can't go wrong.

Parker

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Marc I would be interested in a comparison between the 1600 and 2900. I have the 1600 as well and looking at the 2900.
Jeff

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I am planning on doing just that using the component switching of my AVM20.

I will let you know. I picked up my 2900 today but have not hooked it up yet. I do not think I will get to it tonight but definatly this weekend.
Marc

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Marc. Does your AVM20 do 108 Mhz component video switching? My Denon AVR4802 only did 50 Mhz component video switching and I really couldn't discern any difference between the denon and the pioneer dv47ai using the receiver's switching... it looked better going straight to the TV.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Johnny, The AVM is rated at 100mghz. If I do not see a difference, I can always use my Zektor switcher that has I think greater than 200mhz.
Marc

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Typo, I don't proof. Sorry. 100MEGAHERTZ. Sufficient to bandwidth for 1080p w/o degredation (SF claims).
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks