Ordered JBL PB 12

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BruceTM, Mar 4, 2003.

1. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

I couldn't help myself. I ordered the JBL PB 12 sub last night for $250.00 delivered. Did I do a bad thing? Please forgive me.

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

if the amp doenst give you any problems im sure you will be satisfied (at least until you decide you need to upgrade again).

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

You are forgiven.

I picked up a PB-12 for my brother-in-law's HT and it works just fine. For the money, I think it's a great sub. Actually, I'm frequently surprised by how much bass it puts out.

But- we did have to return the first one because it was DOA out of the box. I had read about problems with the amp on the HTF, so I did not knock myself out trying to track down the problem. I exchanged it for another one, and all is well 14 months later.

4. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

If it actually works out of the box and doesn't crap out on you in the first month then I think you made a good purchase. It's one of the better bangs for the buck (when it works).

My JBL PSW-12 lasted nearly 3 years to the day before the amp went out. It's got a pretty decent driver and JBL makes good speakers, but they use some absoulte crap as amps. The PB-12 has the worst track record I've ever seen from an electronics product.

I'd say you have a 75% chance of not getting screwed on the deal. Good luck.

5. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

I've had my PB-12 since the end of the summer and have been very pleased with it. Granted, I am still a poor college student with my set-up in a non-dedicated HT room, but I have had no problems. It will not get as low or loud as many subs owned by HTF members, but for the $250 I spent I've been nothing but happy. Can't say the same for the guys who live below us, though. :wink:

Jeremy

6. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

I love my JBL set up, and think the PB12 is an under-rated sub. It is tight, and rocks my H.T. room . . . but, my sub lasted 8 months before the amplifier died last month. JBL repaired the amp under warranty, and I asked them to extend the warranty on the sub electronics. They said the electronics warranty is 12 months from date of purchase. I fear the sub will fail again. [​IMG]

7. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

It will fail again, it's just a matter of time.

8. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

Are there affordable subs that have similar quality control problems??? Or is JBL the lone culprit??? Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative???

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Bruce,
    Unfortunately you get what you pay for [​IMG]

10. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

I thought the JBL waranty was 5 years ? Or does that cover the cabinets. The studio line has 5 year cover period. Check it out.

11. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

[​IMG] [​IMG] Ok, I received the pb12. I'm a little disappointed. It appears to be more subdued than my old sub. It works well with movies, but doesn't seem to be doing much at all with music. It is supposed to have a 250 watt amp, seems to be much less than that. I expected to be pounded into submission, but I appear to be hummed into a state of boredom. I wonder if the disappointment I'm experiencing has something to do with a down firing speaker vs a front firing.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Bruce,
    Could be a placement issue. I assume you tried other locations? Then again it is what it is. I have to also assume you calibrated it too?

13. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Jose,

JBL warranties speakers for 5 years - electronics in the powered sub for 12 months.

14. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

I have had the PB-12 since November and am very pleased, but then I only use it for LFE on movies. In my opinion it rocks. I watched the wormhole scene from Contact at 105 db measured and it sounded and felt great. (Wife not home, she can't stand the high levels). I have read the reports on the amp, but no problems so far with mine. I do turn the unit off when not in use. I have read that the newer PB-12's are ok from the factory. Maybe they got tired of warranty and bad press problems and fixed it. Remember two or three bad reports can circulate like wildfire and make the problem seem worse than it may be. I'll take it all back if mine fries.

15. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

Update time, folks. When I posted before about being disappointed it turns out the settings on my Yammy weren't set to let the sub do it's thing. I now love this thing. I wouldn't say it's awesome, but it's close. Works very well for music and movies. It fits in well with my sdf3k's. I am very happy about this purchase. I would do it again without hesitating.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

Bruce,
    I'm glad to hear you tweaked your settings and got it rockin'!

I watched Behind Enemy Lines last nite quite loud, probably 85 dB peaks, and, man, the gunfire, explosions and jet engines had me sitting on the edge of the couch. I love it! Can't believe I hit 105 on Contact. Anybody else out there really like to crank it up?[​IMG]

17. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Hey, like someone else said, if the amp doesn't crap out on ya, for $250, ya can't beat it!