What's new

Ordered Dish Network...anyone have prob. w/covenents? (1 Viewer)

Mike Buckles

Agent
Hi All, just ordered Dish Network to be installed next week...i noticed while I was waiting to place my install order, the Dish network recording mentioned about checking with your local neighborhood covenents to see if sat. dishes were permitted...I asked the rep about it, and she said that sometimes the installer will ask you for a letter of permission to set it up. I checked my covenents, and there is a big long paragraph about no satellite dishes, no rooftop antennaes, etc....this covenent was written in 1993, so I'm pretty sure they mean the big dishes they used to have. Also, I drove around our neighborhood, and noticed a few houses with the dish network setup. Has anyone had any experience with an installer demanding a release letter? I really don't want to call the homeowners association, because I think a lot of the violations that occur around here are "dont ask, dont tell" type of thing...also, I'm putting up 2 dishes for HDTV, the other houses only have 1 dish...have to keep ahead of "the Jones's!" By the way, we own the home..no landlord. Mike Buckles

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There was an FCC ruling a few years ago that lets anyone put up an antennae or dish to receive television signals. Depending on your covenents and your neighborhood association, you may have to make compromises but they can't stop you.
The following link has a ton of good advice and a link to the FCC information. http://www.dbsforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002652.html

Mike Buckles

Agent
thanks for the great advice...my 2 biggest worries are that 1)the installer will ask for a permission letter, and refuse to install it if I don't have one, and 2)the fact that i'm putting up two dishes instead of one. If the FCC has struck down that clause in the covenants, why does Dish Network say that some installers may ask for a letter? Do you think this is more for a condo type setting, or someone who is renting their home? As long as the installer puts it up, I really don't think anyone will complain, seeing as how several others within the neighborhood already have dishes...one of them is a "Dish" dish...maybe if the installer hesitates, I could point out that one of their dishes is already in use 6 houses up from me. The covenants don't appear to be too heavily enforced around here, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! mike buckles

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
Funny; a good friend of mine just went through a battle with his HOA. The covenant states that a dish can be no larger than 18". He wanted to replace his 18" for the dual focus dish (which is slightly wider) to capture 2 sats. They said no. He stated that he would then put up a second 18" dish instead, and get the second bird that way. They responded it wouldn't fly. BUT, the covenant does not restrict one to a single dish, just the size. He ended up getting the O.K. after pointing this out to them! :)
------------------

Mike Buckles

Agent
I was a little worried since I'm putting up 2 dishes, but since I was made aware of the FCC rules enacted in 1996, I'm not worried anymore...if they complain, I'll just download a copy of the act, and mail it to them...I don't think they'll want to make a "federal" case out of it! (Sorry, pun intended!) Mike buckles

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
For dishes, federal law states that they may be up to 1 meter in diameter. That covers the oval ones, as well.
You can be a good neighbor (mainly for the busy-body types in your hood) by installing it in a location that is less visible to the casual observer. I mounted mine about 5 ft high, on the back corner of the house. I have a 6 ft privacy fence, so I'm the only one who sees it.
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks