Ordered Anthem AVM20 v2.09. Any suggestions for smooth installation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimmyK, Mar 7, 2003.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    After much research and the gracious help of my fellow HTFers, I decided to order a new Anthem AVM20.

I was able to negotiate what seem to be a fair deal at my local dealer ($2899.00 + tax) and should receive it later next week. I also contacted Anthem and verified it would be shipped with the latest software, v2.09.

Naturally, I'm excited and hope to enjoy it for many years to come.

Anyone have any suggestions to make the installation go smoothly?

At least for now, I will not be using it as a video switcher or using the multi zone functions. Also, it will running a 5.1 system. It will be used in my system for both casual/serious music listening (both 2 channel and using the Anthem's different surround modes for music) and HT.

For reference, here's some of the equipment I'll be using with it.

Rotel 961 CD player
    Toshiba SD6200 DVD player
    Sony MD player/recorder
    Toshiba VHS HiFi recorder (actually gets limited use)
    Hafler DH 200 amps for L,C,R speakers
    Parasound 750A amp for L&R surrounds
    SVS 16-46PC+ powered subwoofer
    a/d/s L1290 L&R speakers
    NHT Audiocenter 2 center speaker
    NHT SB1 surrounds

I also have a Yamaha DSP-1 and may still keep it depending on how satisfied I am with the music surround modes offered by the Anthem.

Strangely, I feel kind of sad taking my Hafler DH101 analog preamp and possibly the Yamaha DSP-1 out of my system. I've had my Hafler components over 21yrs and the Yamaha over 16yrs. They have never let me down and still perform like new.

Anyway, I'll stop before I get too far down memory lane and bore everyone to death.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

JimmyK

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jimmy,

Good luck with your new purchase. Only you can decide if the AVM-20 will be worthy of replacing your old components. Depending on your personal preferences, the AVM-20 may or may not be the component for you.

As far as setting up the AVM-20, I do have a couple of suggestions in the link below. You already will have one done (upgraded to latest software).

http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...estTimeout=500

3. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

In addition to Michael's link I also found it useful to browse the owners manual on Anthem's site. I even ended up printing it out. :b I'm usually not one to read the manual when I have a new "toy" in front of me. Therefore the early reading served well.

Hope you enjoy the Anthem .. I know I do ! [​IMG]

4. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks for the suggestions and the link!

I actually downloaded manuals for the pre/proc's I was considering. I found them helpful in determining if they had the features I wanted.

While I'm waiting for it to come in, I'll go through the Anthem manual again to get a good overview to get me started.

Thanks again!

JimmyK