What's new

Ordered a new B4+ (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Gonna kill two birds with one stone here and ask the same question in this thread and my B4 thread.

Does anybody have any reviews on the B4+ other then Secrets of Hifi. Further more how bout SVS comparisons, all i've read are reviews on most of the SVS subs by themselves but no comparisons with each other or other subs except for Tom's tests on the site. Did read Ed's two reviews though.

Only interested in PB2-Ultra and down if there comparison reviews, read a million reviews on just the subs, think i got the jist of it. But B4 reviews, i'll take those anyway i can find them cause google aint bringin up anything.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Craig:

I would like to hear your opinions on the B4+. It would nice to hear your opinions on the differences you have found between your Pb2+ and the B4+.

Parker

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Craig-

While it is quite clear that the B4+ is highly capable in terms of pure output, the investigation I have not seen done yet would be with the changes observed with the different tunings. No need to duplicate what Johnson did in the Secret's review. A series of tests from say 14-30Hz in each mode would likely prove very informative. Combine that knowledge with an outboard EQ and you will offer a perspective that hasn't been covered in what I've sen posted. The lack of EQ and careful calibration beyond a simple number on the SPL meter is a factor which accounts for a great deal of the variation in experiences with a given subwoofer. Significant peaks in a subwoofer's response will wildly throw off a system when setting levels with the standard test signals and SPL meter.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Mark - That was about as nicely as anyone could have said that the Secret's review was not very thorough...:)

And I totally agree... what can it do with different tuning... plus I have a few EQ devices- the Audio Control Richter Scale with 1/6 octave eq, the impending R-Des from AV123... and the SOS unit from Speaker City... I will start with an un equalized sweep, and work from there

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Man, it was a bad time to be in my area yesterday, anybody watch the news? lol

Anywho yea your PB2-Plus compared to the B4+ would be a fun review to read.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Allen .. Saw that about the tornado... scary stuff !

One area of interest... will the Crown K1 "sound" better with the dB12 drivers than the built in BASH amp on the PB2+ ?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
This made it easy... The K2 was about $200 more than the K1... The B4+ should ship sometime in the next few days...

Just about in time for Ed to start the PB2 Ultra review...

And for those who know what this means, the K2 has a rated damping Factor of 3000 + from 10 HZ on up... That should keep a handle on things...:)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jeff - There is actually about 5 feet between the chairs and the Belles... and they really are not noticable...especially with the center channel ... From my listening position, there is a clear view right to the speakers...

That being said, there IS a reason I have a two channel only system for music in another room

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Craig, the standard for sub output at Dolby reference volume is 115dB (peak) at the listening position, IIRC.
Of course, there are some movies that even go over that and you can quite easily hit 120dB or more
on the sub bass if listening at ref. for certain movies. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones goes over
ref level, for example.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Lee - I am aware of that. You did not complete your point... Why did you write that ? To make sure I knew it ? If so, thanks, if not... out with the details ...;)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Craig: You had posted before a question about volume levels at reference. I just wanted to state what the
spec officially calls for, which is 105dB peak for standard movie sounds, and 115dB peak for subwoofer LFE sound.
Although, one can't always count on a movie restraining itself to those levels. Of course, with a B4+
you won't have to worry about that. ;)

Off the top of my head, I think the B4+ can do something in the area of 130dB, if the room isn't too big,
which is probably more than you'd want to listen to anyhow. :)

I look forward to seeing some measurements as well as general opinions on the B4+ once you have it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks