What's new

Order the Windows Security Update CD!!! (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
folks,

i just received my update cd today and it has the security updates through february 2004. although this is not completely up to date it is the 80 for the 20.

the disk includes:

windows xp sp1 update
security roll-up through feb. 2004
direct x 9.0b
windows mediaplayer 9

this cd is great because:

1. i do not have to hope some one has broadband when i go try and fix someone's operating system or other random issues. this cd has the updates for for all windows operating systems from windows 98 to xp sp1. and i already have all of the other programs/drivers/etc. that i need when working on somebody's computer.

2. this cd saves all kind of time because you do not have to download all the updates. the only problem is that you have to install sp1 to install the security updates. but, since sp1 is included on the disk it is not that big a deal.

3. i do not have to hope someone has broadband!

this cd can be ordered free of charge from microsoft at:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

only problem is that it took a month to get here.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting that.

I'd heard some concern that the disk might be loaded with sponsors software that might detract from the performance.

Any sign of that?

Also, what does Microsoft need from us, as proof we already legitimately have one of its Operating systems (In other words, do we have to jump through hoops to find serial numbers or something we've forgotten what the heck it was?)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
when i ordered the cd all i did was provide standard address info. i did not provide any serials or anything.

the disk is useless if you do not have sp1 installed because the disk requires sp1 in order to install the updates. all of those famous serials that made the rounds when xp came out kind of got routed out after sp1. of course, there are still "not so legal" copies out here but there is only so much that M$ can do.

concerning the 3rd party software. there is a second disk that contains a free anti-virus and firewall software called EZ Armor LE from Computer Associates. the documentation on the cd claims that it is free for one year. i don't plan on using it so i did not touch it.

the disk that i used did not have anything else on it besides what i listed above.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
can't hurt to keep it handy.

i had to do a full install and upgrade for my friends system. that included both the os and office packages .... over dial-up!

it almost killed me....it literally took hours. :eek:

however, if someone has auot-update on their system and has been keeping up, is this cd really necessary?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
ted,

you said why this cd is necessary yourself.

i think it is necessary for those folks that literally have a catastrophic failure and do not have backups on removable media.

it is also necessary for folks like me that do freelance repairs on computers that do not have tech savvy end users. i dealt with a computer the other day that was purchased in 1999 that had windows 98 first edition on it with no antivirus/spyware protection. it also had not had any of the most basic maintenance like a defrag or backup done on it in its existence. and it was on dial-up!!!

in situations like this i tell folks, "look. it is best just to start over." and i do my best to educate them by demonstrating basic tasks and leaving instructions etc. behind. but you know the average person will be calling me again in a few months because they did not take heed.

i am pretty sure that you know that there are many computers out here like this and worse. it is worth a couple hundred to some of these folks to simply get it working because all they do is basic word processing, email and internet browsing.

so for work productivity this cd will save me hours.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Wait, so the disc has SP1 but is useless if you don't have SP1???

So can you install SP1 with this disc or not?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
for clarification:

1. the disk has sp1 and you can install sp1 with this disk.

2. if you have an illegal (pirated) serial number for windows xp there is a 99% probability that you will not be able to install sp1. therefore, you will not be able to install any of the security updates and other goodies on the disk.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought you meant but it was confusing. :)

This disc will be useful. I've had to spend hours updating my pc's before. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One thing, though, to put it obvious.. the disc contains updates through Feb 15 of 2004. Which means, even after you have installed all updates, there are still 11 more critical updates to get at MS, roughly 14MB

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
There's also the option of getting the network installations like I do; I download them at work, burn them to a cd to bring home. Tends to be a bit more up to date and faster. . . but still requires access to high-speed internet.

download center home:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

WinXP SP1a (134MB!!!):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...p1/sp1lang.asp

security update (4/12/04):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

directX 9.0b:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and tons of other updates as well!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

Correct and not only that, but the releases that came out last week (MS04-011, 012 and 013) are all 'critical'. There was an additional one - MS04-014 for the Jet Database which was merely 'important'. We got a warning from our MS Premier Support gut today that they've picked up what they term 'worm-like activity' which takes advantage of one or more of the holes plugged by MS04-011. This could be the next Slammer or Blaster.

MS04-011 includes some previous updates, including MS04-007 which only came out in Feb. MS04-012 is a cumulative RPC patch which includes the earlier MS03-026 and it's successor MS03-039 which were required unless you wanted to get whacked by Blaster and Nachii.

The CD is a good idea but it would be more beneficial to just download and save the .exe versions of each patch as they come out each month (usually midweek around middle of the month).

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The most important thing that the CD has on it is the Security fix for the Blaster RPC Shutdown bug.

If you are on an ISP that gets hammered with that problem, good luck trying to download the security fix before the PC starts the shutdown process.

Having the CD has been a lifesaver with that issue.

The CD is a good idea because then you don't have to worry about whether you remembered to save the security updates from before Feb 2004. MS does it for you. Nice and convenient. It's not much of an issue to have a second CD with all the fixes after Feb 2004. I usually carry about a dozen CDs with programs for fixing computers anytime I go to a computer repair job.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
A new version of this disc is being developed at this moment. Apparently, they will revise every so often.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Wow, it came within a week of ordering it (in Canada). It looks like it has the security updates for all the operating systems on the one disk?

As I have Windows 98 on this machine, and Windows ME on a second machine that has never been on line, I guess I can bring ME up-to-date as well.

This could be good for Microsoft too, so it seems like a good move all-around.

Any one try the free sample anti-virus program? (I'm kinda frustrated with NAV, with it's high price, and its "low memory" warnings..)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Computer Assoc. program is not bad, it's considered "fair" by most online review sites. But for free, it's far better then nothing ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks