Orbital and Crystal Method...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Aug 26, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up the "new" TCM, Community Service, the other day, and listened to the whole thing last night. Not sure if I like it or not, it is a compliation of remixed tracks, some theirs, some they did for others....some very cool, others...not so exciting (only one listen through so far though). Fairly heavy stuff, and it all sounds very similar (maybe a little too much so), and is a little rougher than even Tweekend. I kind of liked the TCM version of P.O.D.'s BOOM [​IMG]
    I also noticed a "best of" compliation from Orbital, but hesitated because the most recent release was CRAP, IMO. I have loved every album up until that one. I was wondering if anyone picked up the compliation, and how is it? Is it just re-released album tracks or are they b-sides, new, etc... what's the deal? [​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

there you are! [​IMG]
    i didn't really like tweekend too much and i'm usually not a fan of albums where other people remix the songs - they usually stray too far off the beaten path (in a bad way) for me. sounds like "community service" follows that formula.
    which orbital album are you talking about? "back to mine"? i think it is some sort of compilation...check out this review from ubl.com:
    http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/ar...689693,00.html
    it looks interesting, but i don't think i'm sold. if you go for it lemme know!
    i have a couple of orbital cd's, but can't recall the titles. one i know i like...i think it's an all white album...i'll have to dig to be sure. they're pretty good, but they haven't really floored me like the other big hitters in this genre.

3. John Garcia

John
    Nope it was this one:
    http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...itemid=1578346
    The review there says it's OK, but I'm still not sure.
    The CD you are talking about is Middle of Nowhere, I believe, with the white cover with the subliminal "O" on it and the CD itself.
    I like to pull out Orbital's older stuff now and again, great for listening to at work.
    NP:Crystal Method - Community Service

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...fwiw, that's actually a pretty good review.
    when it comes to this type of music and especially compilation stuff, i don't worry too much. it's almost always a safe bet...since i don't have a lot of orbital stuff this actually looks appealing. heck, it all sounds the same anyway.... [​IMG]
    too bad columbia house doesn't have it yet (just checked [​IMG] )...i've still got one more cd to complete my obligation before i cancel then resubscribe for the umpteenth time.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. John Garcia

John
    I have the Everything but the Girl Back to Mine, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't know Orbital had one out, but I may have to check that out also.

7. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

I love the 'Back to Mine' series for the most part. The Morcheeba 'Back to Mine' and the EBTG one are both awesome. Anyway, the orbital one is pretty good, but more upbeat than the rest of the series. The reggae track (#2) is an instant classic, if you ask me.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey boris -
    how is morcheeba? i just started getting into them and like what i've heard so far.
    any particular recommendations? [​IMG]

9. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

I am a big Morcheeba fan. I actually saw them live finally at irving plaza in NYC a few weeks back. Great live performance.

Their first album - "Who Can You Trust?" is a trip hop classic which is their second best release.

Their second album is one of my favorite albums ever - "Big Calm." I highly recommend it to everyone regardless of their musical tastes. This usually works. Get this one. Listen to it. I still listen to it alot after 5 years. I would also recommend the instrumental "Beats & B-Sides" which is great smooth trippy beats.

Their third album "Fragments of Freedom" was a big letdown. They tried to turn into a pop band and it did not work at all.

Luckily they are returned close to top form with their new release "Charango". It is still a bit more on the pop side than their early stuff. The 'Back to Mine' disc is a sweet compilation of soulful beats to chill with.

So get "Big Calm" first and then the other three in any order. If you like, I can recommend some similar artists.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cool boris. thanks for the info. figures that the only album columbia house has (i still need to fulfill my contract) is 'fragments of freedom'.
    i'll go to the store and pick up "big calm"...sounds like a winner.
    if you have other rec's, i'd love to hear them.
    sorry for thread jacking john! [​IMG]

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey john! you still around? [​IMG]
    i picked up work today. i totally dig it. since i don't have a lot of stuff by them this was a perfect choice. there's a few songs i instantly recognized but a pleasant surprise was "illuminate" - i've always liked that song but never knew who sang it.
    the whole album flows pretty nicely. all the songs are varied enough that you don't get tired listening to it. if you have a limited orbital catalog this may be worth checking it out. it's at a listening station at borders
    oh yeah...they also had back to mine on one of the stations. a lot of uber-eclectic stuff, but a pretty good album. all the songs were definitely listenable. if i had more cash i possibly would have picked it up. it's a lot of stuff i would probably not hear otherwise, but i just wonder how often i'd really listen to it.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

oh yeah boris - if you're still around i picked up morcheeba's big calm a whle ago. i totally love it...excellent recommendation! thx! [​IMG]

13. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

Ted - Glad to hear you liked Big Calm. If you let me know what artists you are into now - or styles/genres - maybe I can offer some more recommendations.

14. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

Even though promised as a Region 1 release, the Region 2 edition of Orbital's 5.1 Altogether DVD is pretty amazing with a great DTS track.