What's new

Orange/Yellow-colored popcorn seasoning from the 1980s (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found this place here: http://www.popcornlovers.com/ and was going to order some popcorn and seasoning from them, till I noticed the shipping was almost as much as the product. I had a little over $9 in my cart and the shipping was over $8.

Robert_Z said:
Yeah, I've had that problem before too. I wonder if some kind of spray butter would work. Just enough to make the seasoning stick if you don't want the fat or calories of vegetable oil.
The spray butter works fantastic!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert_Z
Well, I got the Flavacol.
But, it does no good with a hot-air popper. The seasoning will not stick to the popcorn. So I tried popping the kernels in a pot (using veggie oil), and that worked a little better, but I don't want veggie oil.
Darn it. Next, I'll throw the Flavacol into the pot before the popcorn pops...see what happens.

Try popping the popcorn in Canola oil. The theater I worked at won awards for its popcorn, which used flavicol, canola oil, and real butter. The best stuff ever.

I'm sorry you didn't realize that the flavicol only sticks to popcorn popped the old fashioned way. Yeah, in a hot-air blower it would just blow all over the place, or start a fire.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
I believe my Mom puts the Flavacol in the machine with the oil and the popcorn before it pops. She has a mini theater-style popping machine.
Yes, that is correct. With the flavacol in there before the popcorn seeds pop, the popcorn self-coats itself when it pops.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Holy thread resurrection Batman.

I never heard of flavocol and what an awful name.
do they still make butterbuds?

I know you can buy little bottles of shakeable popcorn seasoning.
the local video store sells them for $1.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Worked in a theatre in the early 80's, we had fantastic popcorn.

Don't know what it was, but does sound a lot like the flavocol everyone mentions. Popped our own in one of those movie style kettles with the spinning arm and the lids that lifted as the kettle filled.

Whatever we used came in sticks like butter, but was orange and solid at room temp (obviously not to healthy). Toss in one of those and about two cups of kernels and it was great popcorn that came out. Not sure if it's made any longer, or maybe a commercial product you can't even buy, but I tried for years to copy it's flavor and never came close.

Eventually switched to five gallon buckets of the stuff. Had an immersion heater/pump built into the top, so just pushed a button and added the corn. Still just as good.

WildmaninReed

Auditioning
Real Name
Wendell
The Popcorn & Seasoning in question here is in fact "Poprite Popcorn" It was out of Ridgeway, Il. It is a local area for me & you could find it every where here. But no more. Not sure what happen with it. Loved that little packet of seasoning as it made home made popcorn just like at the Drive-In. I'm going to look more into this & hope to get some kind of News back here about it.:)

iblobar

Auditioning
Real Name
Lola
Could it be 'butter flavor popcorn seasoning by POPSRITE, made by Blevins Popcorn Co. out of Memphis,Tennessee 38117 subsidary of Conwood Corp. I myself am looking for this product. My sister loves it and will not conform to another product.... Hope this helps!!!:)

storegirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Sue
I have 3 unopened packs of pops rite popcorn seasoning. They were packed in Popcorn Village, Ridgway, III. North Bend, Neb. For Blevins Popcorn Co., Memphis, Tenn. 38117 Subsiderary of Conwood Corporation. My father owned a country grocery, and this popcorn salt was an item he sold. It is old and was and is the original salt. This brings back great memories. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In a Target today we saw a carton of Flacacol on the counter near the popcorn popper, so I uses that's what target uses.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I worked in a theater from 1979-1985 and no matter what I tried, couldn't duplicate what we popped. At the time we were one of the few places that actually popped our own, not just buying pre-popped hefty sacks of popcorn and warming them up.
We used a special oil that was colored and probably flavored (saturated as I now know because it came in five gallon buckets that were solid until heated) and some fantastic flavorings, might have been Flacacol, I have no idea, but it was a very, very fine orange colored salt/flavoring. If it was very cold and the oil hadn't melted, we'd use these things that looked exactly like orange sticks of butter, even the same type of wrapping.
Also used a butter substitute (again saturated) that I remember having a slight coconut taste.
I still miss it and have never been able to copy it, but I'm guessing it was terribly unhealthy and loaded with calories so we're probably better off without it, but a bucket or two a year would sure be a treat.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Here's a thread from sometime last year that has relevant information, I think.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/316129/stir-crazy-deluxe-popcorn-maker

On the strength of the review (on the site linked in the first post) I got one of the Stir Crazy Deluxe poppers and the Great Northern popcorn packs with the Flavacol seasoning.

It's as close as can be to real movie theater popcorn - it's the same yellow color and smells just like at the theaters with just the right amount of salitiness.

I don't ever add any butter to mine - just prepare it as described.

I worked in a movie theater back in the late 80's early 90's - we popped our own corn, but did so every other day in a separate room and bagged the popcorn to be reheated before serving.

For many years after working there, I was very turned off of popcorn - it wasn't that I ate too much, it was that I discovered that popcorn that's been soaking in soda for a while (at the bottom of the trash cans that I would empty repeatedly) unleashes a horrendously bad stench that repulsed me beyond belief.

Smells stay in your memory for a long time, and I just couldn't bring myself to eat popcorn for a LONG time.

That's gone now - I LOVE making popcorn for movie nights. Just one more way watching a movie at home is getting to be just as good (if not better) than going to a theater.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jason, your aversion to popcorn at the time was so opposite of mine.
Maybe because we always made it fresh, there was no reheating of old popcorn. Since it was so cheap the owner didn't mind us having popcorn or sodas anytime we felt like it. I could have lived on the popcorn, thankfully had a decent metabolism or I'd probably have a huge weight problem.
We ran "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" on weekends, with slobs for customers, so I'm familiar with the smell you're talking about. Guess it just never affected me.
What's funny now is that I rarely eat popcorn. Don't go to theaters anymore, stay at home movies are the way to go, and other than Newman's Movie Theater style, I can't find anything that's even tolerable.

bebob

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
It was Pops-rite popcorn seasoning. I remember it well as well as the packets it was in. Usually in paper packets or a small round shaker box. I think it's discontinued; we can't find it either.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Zen Butler said:
Yes, it's Flavocol and you can get it at Iowa Popcorn. Use with coconut oil sludge for best results.
http://www.iowapopcorn.com
Malcolm R said:
I believe my Mom puts the Flavacol in the machine with the oil and the popcorn before it pops. She has a mini theater-style popping machine.
This is how we pop it at work.
Just started working at a theater and saw that we use Flavacol and coconut oil for the seasoning and popping.
Tastes really good when fresh popped and I can eat all I want.
I made the mistake of adding a little extra into my bag once. completely unnecessary, it just made it salty tasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks