What's new

Orange/Yellow-colored popcorn seasoning from the 1980s (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
When I was in high school, I used to work in the concession stand. We put this delicious orange-yellow seasoning in the popcorn. It was the best stuff I ever ate. BUT, I never see anyone use it anymore.

In the grocery store, there was also a comparable product, which was a packet of seasoning included in individual popcorn bags.

Does anyone know the seasoning I am talking about? What happened to it? Was it deemed to lead to like 37 kinds of cancer?

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I know exactly what you're talking about. No, I can't find it either. I've tried various other popcorn toppings, but none have ever come close.
I want to say it was Poprite, or something like that. But you could buy the kernals in a bag, pop it up the old fashioned way (with oil in a "popper"), and there was this little packet orange-yellow powder that came in the bag. It was salty and a little buttery. I've never had any other store-bought topping as good as it was. I miss it, even after 20 years! Found memories of my family popping up a massive quantity and watching movies on Friday/Saturday night.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Are you guys thinking of Butter Buds? For some reason, I think that might be too new...I seem to recall some kind of powdery flavoring that you'd put on popcorn... Hmmm?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just wanted to post a related note here. I think the best popper I've ever had was the Stircrazy, I think that's the name. It was dome shaped and had a flast heating surface and a rod that spun along the surface stirring the kernels as they cooked. Oil was used but you didn't need a lot.

It make great popcorn and popped almost all the kernels. I wonder if they still make it.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The one that I always liked was Popsrite. Like Nathan said, it came in a little paper packet in each bag of popcorn. A few years ago I bought a big bottle of it at Sam's Club but I don't know if they have anything like it now or not. I wish I could find some because I haven't found any other popcorn salt that I like as well as the Popsrite.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnny Angell said:
Just wanted to post a related note here. I think the best popper I've ever had was the Stircrazy, I think that's the name. It was dome shaped and had a flast heating surface and a rod that spun along the surface stirring the kernels as they cooked. Oil was used but you didn't need a lot.
It make great popcorn and popped almost all the kernels. I wonder if they still make it.
I just got one for Christmas, so I would say, "Yes". :)

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for those links, but now I just spent $35.00 on popcorn. Hopefully it's as good as the theater stuff!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Love the Yellow Salt, [why does typing yellow salt start me thinking about huskys? :laugh: ]
Here we still get it but I have noticed more theater’s :eek: moving to a box of what appears to be clunky regular white iodized salt.
THATS JUST WRONG!!!!! (and it does not make [movie] popcorn.)
Baked potatoes = kosher or rock salt, movie theaters = fine yellow. We need salt regulations! :)
I am one of those pesky customers who ask for a small cup of the yellow/orange salt so I can recharge the bag as we work our way down.
I never did the flavored popcorns always sticking with basic movie style butter+salt. There is one
I have become hooked on. Should only be ordered delivered during colder months or it tends to come as a giant melded conglomeration in the can.
Flavor: CC Winkle Highly recommended.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This discussion has caused me to order a new stir-crazy. Bought the 8-quart from Amazon and will have it next week.

There's been some discussion of pop-cor, but would it be permissible to ask in this thread what are your favorite pop-corns and what oils do you typically use when making it?

BTW, the user comments on Amazon seem to indicate that Waring has cheapened the manufature of the stir-crazy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnny Angell said:
This discussion has caused me to order a new stir-crazy. Bought the 8-quart from Amazon and will have it next week.
There's been some discussion of pop-cor, but would it be permissible to ask in this thread what are your favorite pop-corns and what oils do you typically use when making it?
BTW, the user comments on Amazon seem to indicate that Waring has cheapened the manufature of the stir-crazy.
I have the 6-quart model. From reading Amason, it sounds like the 8-quart model might have some condensation issues. Though it seems like you could just dump the popped corn into a separate bowl to solve that.
I tried the butter well on the top the first couple of times, but have since gone to just melting butter in the microwave. I never thought the popcorn tasted all that buttery when I melted it thru the top, and a fair amount of butter would remain in the well, congealing into a mess once you snap on the black cover and it cools.
I've just been using cheap popcorn (Jolly Time White) and have loved the results. I wondered about using flavored oils, but most are made with olive oil which has a low temp smoke point. The instructions suggest vegetable oil (I use canola) due to high cooking temps. But one comment at Amazon said they use olive oil, so who knows?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Malcolm R said:
I have the 6-quart model. From reading Amason, it sounds like the 8-quart model might have some condensation issues.
I tried the butter well on the top the first couple of times, but have since gone to just melting butter in the microwave. I never thought the popcorn tasted all that buttery when I melted it thru the top, and a fair amount of butter would remain in the well
Many years ago, I had a stir crazy and I remember that the butter did not melt when put in at the top. Also, I recall one of the comments on Amazon saying don't leave the cap on while popping, as it just contains the steam and makes for soggy pop corn.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnny Angell said:
Many years ago, I had a stir crazy and I remember that the butter did not melt when put in at the top. Also, I recall one of the comments on Amazon saying don't leave the cap on while popping, as it just contains the steam and makes for soggy pop corn.
The instructions say to keep the cap off while popping, so I've always kept it off.
I did discover today that, once the popping is over and you've removed the dome and the popcorn, if you put some butter in a little pyrex dish or glass measuring cup you can set it on the base and the residual heat from the popping will melt the butter. No need to fire up the microwave. ;)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Well, I got the Flavacol.

But, it does no good with a hot-air popper. The seasoning will not stick to the popcorn. So I tried popping the kernels in a pot (using veggie oil), and that worked a little better, but I don't want veggie oil.

Darn it. Next, I'll throw the Flavacol into the pot before the popcorn pops...see what happens.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Robert_Z said:
Well, I got the Flavacol.
But, it does no good with a hot-air popper. The seasoning will not stick to the popcorn. So I tried popping the kernels in a pot (using veggie oil), and that worked a little better, but I don't want veggie oil.
Darn it. Next, I'll throw the Flavacol into the pot before the popcorn pops...see what happens.
Yeah, I've had that problem before too. I wonder if some kind of spray butter would work. Just enough to make the seasoning stick if you don't want the fat or calories of vegetable oil.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe my Mom puts the Flavacol in the machine with the oil and the popcorn before it pops. She has a mini theater-style popping machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks