Optoma HD72

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BretWeaver, Apr 2, 2006.

1. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to get rid of my 65" Toshiba RPHDTV and move into the projector world. The unit that I've been drawn to initially is the Optoma HD72. One of the main reasons I like the unit (other than the price) is it says it is rated to display 1080p... is this accurate? I would love to have the capability to "future proof" myself for HD-DVD/Bluray. Anyone weigh in on this? I don't see myself buying a unit that wont do the video format that everything will be going to.

2. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

It looks like the HD81 will be spitting out 1080p, not the 72. Here's a fairly positive review.

Happy hunting!

3. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

It will accept a 1080p source, but it will not be displayed at the full 1080p resolution. The projector's native resolution is 720p (well, really 1280 x 768 for PC, but it has 1:1 pixel mapping for 720p), so it will scale down the 1080p source to that native resolution.

Right now, projectors with a native 1080p resolution are very expensive. I'd imagine the cost of 1080p projectors will drop within the next wave or two.

A 720p projector is still going to look impressive and I would imagine 1080p sources will still look amazing on it.

4. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

Here's the spec sheet on the 81.

Check out the price. Ouch!!