What's new

Optoma HD70 Video Scaling Question (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I have the Toshiba HD-A2 player, and currently have on order the Optoma HD70, which is a 720p native projector.

I will be using a HDMI connection for video, and was looking for opinions on which produces a better picture:

Should I have the HD-A2 downconvert to 720p and pass that natively to the projector, or Should I have the HD-A2 output 1080i and have the projector downconvert that to 720p?

I guess it comes down to which has a better downconverter, the HD-A2 or the HD70 projector.

Thanks for any opinons.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It seems that setting them both to 720p would be the best, reducing the scaling required. But only your eyes can tell for sure.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
HD DVD is native 1080p. The projector is native 720p. There has to be scaling done somewhere, no matter what. I was just wondering if it's better to be done at the player, or in the projector.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, the Optoma will not deinterlace 1080i, so it'll use a single field and scale up to 720p from 540p. 720p should be better, but it's the lesser of the two outputs based on my viewing them natively on my CRT (perhaps since it's easier to get 1080i than 720p from 1080p), so...

...try them both. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks