Optoma HD-72

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Soms, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Soms

Soms Auditioning

Hi Folks,

Trying to set up my theater. You may have seen my post in the speaker forum.

Looking at some recommended projectors. I came across the following package and would like your input on the Optoma HD-72 projector.

New Optoma HD72 Projector
    New 119" HDTV Fixed Frame Screen With Black Velvet Pro Trim
    HUGE HDTV 59" x 104" Grey High Contrast Grey Fabric 1.1 Gain
    New Universal Ceiling Mount
    New 25' Premium 24K Gold Plated Ends Component Cable
    New 25' Premium 24K Gold Plated Ends HDMI to DVI Cable

Can get all this for about $1600 after rebate.

Seems like this is a good price from a reputable dealer, however my experience is limited to what I have been reading over the last several months.

Would appreciate any input on the projector and the package as a whole.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    That's a great deal and a great projector. The projector is new, right? Just make sure about the dealer though. That almost sounds too good to be true.

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    It's supposed to be a GREAT projector and has been replaced by the HD73. You can probably find some terrific deals if you're patient and savvy.

Good luck!

4. Soms

Soms Auditioning

Apparently, from what I have read on this site, the HD-72 is being replaced by the HD-73????????? Haven't found info on that one yet but could explain why there are excess 72's. If the 72 is a respectable model, I'll probably go with it. I don't have to be on the cutting edge, just want a good product.

thanks for the info, any additional is appreciated.

Steve

5. frogpond

frogpond Stunt Coordinator

Where in the world did you get a fixed screen thta cheap??!!

6. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Stunt Coordinator

I have the HD72, and it's terrific. I have a 92" Greywolf II, with a gain of 1.8
    That package sounds like alot of the ebay dealer packages, I almost went with one of those, but didn't want the ceiling mount or to deal with more rebates.
    I got mine at Projector Point, mostly because of the free replacement bulb offer, and got the $300 rebate and free shipping. The free bulb was worth more to me than the cables, and I wanted to pick a higher gain screen for gaming.

The colors and detail on the 72 is amazing. I'm totally happy with it, using Xbox 360 through DVI and the Toshiba HD DVD through HDMI, upconverted DVDs look spectacular. I was kind of worried about buying my first projector without seeing it in person, and almost bought a 40" LCD. Now looking back I SO made the right choice. It looks better than every TV I've seen at Best Buy or CC, and is 4 times the size. Incredible.

Here's a good pic of my 360 on it: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/IM000289.jpg

Just make sure you plan on ceiling mounting it, the offset is really big so no shelf mounting is possible. Good luck, LMK if you have any questions!

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Soms:

Talk to the guys at Visual Apex or TV Authority about that projector with a projection screen. I know they will work you out a great deal and both are authorized dealers.