What's new

Optoma HD-72 (1 Viewer)

Soms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi Folks,

Trying to set up my theater. You may have seen my post in the speaker forum.

Looking at some recommended projectors. I came across the following package and would like your input on the Optoma HD-72 projector.

New Optoma HD72 Projector
New 119" HDTV Fixed Frame Screen With Black Velvet Pro Trim
HUGE HDTV 59" x 104" Grey High Contrast Grey Fabric 1.1 Gain
New Universal Ceiling Mount
New 25' Premium 24K Gold Plated Ends Component Cable
New 25' Premium 24K Gold Plated Ends HDMI to DVI Cable

Can get all this for about $1600 after rebate.

Seems like this is a good price from a reputable dealer, however my experience is limited to what I have been reading over the last several months.

Would appreciate any input on the projector and the package as a whole.

Thanks,
Steve

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That's a great deal and a great projector. The projector is new, right? Just make sure about the dealer though. That almost sounds too good to be true.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's supposed to be a GREAT projector and has been replaced by the HD73. You can probably find some terrific deals if you're patient and savvy.

Good luck!

Soms

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Apparently, from what I have read on this site, the HD-72 is being replaced by the HD-73????????? Haven't found info on that one yet but could explain why there are excess 72's. If the 72 is a respectable model, I'll probably go with it. I don't have to be on the cutting edge, just want a good product.

thanks for the info, any additional is appreciated.

Steve

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Where in the world did you get a fixed screen thta cheap??!!

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HD72, and it's terrific. I have a 92" Greywolf II, with a gain of 1.8
That package sounds like alot of the ebay dealer packages, I almost went with one of those, but didn't want the ceiling mount or to deal with more rebates.
I got mine at Projector Point, mostly because of the free replacement bulb offer, and got the $300 rebate and free shipping. The free bulb was worth more to me than the cables, and I wanted to pick a higher gain screen for gaming.

The colors and detail on the 72 is amazing. I'm totally happy with it, using Xbox 360 through DVI and the Toshiba HD DVD through HDMI, upconverted DVDs look spectacular. I was kind of worried about buying my first projector without seeing it in person, and almost bought a 40" LCD. Now looking back I SO made the right choice. It looks better than every TV I've seen at Best Buy or CC, and is 4 times the size. Incredible.

Here's a good pic of my 360 on it: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/IM000289.jpg

Just make sure you plan on ceiling mounting it, the offset is really big so no shelf mounting is possible. Good luck, LMK if you have any questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks