Optoma H30

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan Had, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Dan Had

Dan Had Auditioning

I have done quite a bit of research as i am looking for my first DLP projector. I have a budget of about 1,000$ for the projector, but it is not set in stone(could be a lil less). This seems to have the best features in the sub 1,000 price range. But the color wheel does not have a white, it is RGBRGB, not RGBW. Will this be an issue, i am told it makes the blacks even better.

Next, it is only rated at 800 lumenms and i have no idea how dark i will need the room to be to view it (i live in an apartment so light control is sometimes hard)

Finally, If i have a few candles lit in the room, while entertaining guests will the 800 lumens still be enough?

Other choices i have considered is the X1, and the BenQ PB6100, any other info that might be important or think i should consider let me know. Sadly we do not have HDTV here yet(we only get comcast cable) So this will mainly be used to watch DVD's. And hopefully comcast will get us plugged into HD soon!

Thanks for your input guys!

2. Dan Had

Dan Had Auditioning

I have narrowed it down to a 4085, or a H30 with reading my above problems what would you recomend. I am leaning towards the H30 mainly because of the price difference. Thoughts?

3. Paul_SM

Paul_SM Auditioning

I have looked at both these pjs. Sadly not side by side but in sim lighting. The 4805 was the one for me. The 16:9 aspect is better for watching dvds. All the light output is being used. But the real killer was the image when using the 4805s dvi connection. It's sharper,richer,better blacks,
    and seemed brighter than the H30 which seems to be an issue with your setup.

Don't worry about the missing white color segment unless you really have a lighting problem. Normally the white is turned off when you select video mode anyway and it kills blacks when it's on.

I am assuming you don't have rainbow issues although both machines have the same speed color wheel. I still saw some RBs on both but much less than the X1.

Both pjs aren't bright so daytime viewing is out if you can't block out most of the light from the windows but a candle or two at night won't kill the image to much. Better still if you invest in a grey screen. Remember your blacks are only going to be as black as the screen when no image is shown so the darker the room the better.

Good luck.