Options for" XBox Live" for those in the Boonies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Arelius, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Mark_Arelius

Mark_Arelius Auditioning

We live in the middle of Willamette Valley Oregon and our phone lines are a half century old, can XBox Live be handled with DirecTv DSL?

What are other options and about how much does this cost, Im not up on High speed internet at all not living in the Big city for a couple decades now

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DirecTV DSL is just normal DSL if I recall correctly, so yes it would work with that. If the satellite transmits any of the data to you then it's not worth your time because you will get terrible gameplay due to the lag (even lightspeed takes time to get down here from orbit [​IMG] ) Make sure it's actually available in your area first.
    The starter kit is $50 and includes all the extra equipment and 1 year of service and a few game demos. It's not known what the yearly fee will be yet, but it's expected to be about $50

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The last time I looked at DirecTV DSL, a little over a year ago, it was also "one way" - you got high speed data FROM the satellite, but you still used a modem connection to send data TO the internet... Which wouldn't work at all with XBoxLive unfortunately.

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

No Brian, that's a separate DirecTv service. DirecTv DSL is simply regular DSL provided by someone else but under the DirecTv branding.
    They also have a satellite broadband service called DirecWay which, as has been stated, will not work for Xbox Live because of the lag.
    DirecTv DSL:http://www.directvdsl.com
    DirecWay:http://www.dtv.direcway.com

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Ah, thanks for the correction, Dan. That's exactly what I was thinking of - the DirecWay.

Surely with DirectTV DSL though, it's just their 'own' DSL service - if you're in range for it, you're in range for DSL from anyone, more or less, surely?

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That's what I'm talking about.

8. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I have DirecTV DSL (not DirecWay), and it works just fine for Live.