Options for hooking up video.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Gregar, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Pete Gregar

Pete Gregar Auditioning

Jul 16, 2002
    I recently purchased my first HT receiver, and have some questions on hooking up the video.
    Sony STR-DE985
    Analog direct modes
    Component Video Switching (2 inputs, 1 output)
    Digital Inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 1 coaxial
    Optical Digital Output
    Other Connections: 4 audio (including phono) and 5 A/V (including 4 S-video and 1 front-panel) inputs
    Sony DVD with component, composite and S-video
    Sony TV has composite, S-video and coax
    Digital cable box with composite and coax
    VCR with composite and coax
    Is there any gain in using component from the DVD to the receiver, if the receiver to the TV is S-video?
    This is what I plan on running
    VCR: Composite into receiver
    DVD: S-video and toslink into receiver
    Cable: component into receiver
    Receiver: S-video into TV
    With this setup will I only be able to hear sound through the receiver? Can I have sound through the TV only also?
  2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dec 4, 1999
    No, in fact it probably won't even work. Most recievers won't convert from one connection to another
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    actually jeff, most receivers now will do a conversion from composite to s-video. many of the higher end receivers are now incorporating conversion to component as well. you may run into problems with the osd, but that's a different issue.

pete - i don't know the specifics of your receiver - you should check the owners manual. it sort of sounds like it does do the switching. but, since your tv only has an s-video input, i figure that's the way to go.

from an audio viewpoint - the way you have it wired, you're running everything into the receiver, so you'll have to have it on for sound. however, i suppose you could run a coax cable from wall -> vcr -> tv...that would allow you to get sound directly to your tv.