Optimum Room Size?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jarett, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,
    i'm just wondering what is the optimum room size for a home theater with a projector running a 4:3 ratio as big as possible with a 8 foot ceiling? Also, my current home theater room is about 15x12, is this to small to invest in a home theater?
    Thanks in advance

Jay

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That's certainly not too small. There are people on this forum who have smaller rooms. Many also have HT's in multi-purpose rooms where the HT is smaller than 15x12.

To your question about distance: what size image are you wanting to throw? About 106" is pretty common. How many rows of seating will you have? If it's just one row, and that row can be against the back wall, you could probably get away with a 106" diagonal screen. If you're seating must be closer (say 9' away) you may consider a slightly smaller projection. Also, you need to consider how far back the projector will be as this affects screen-size. You can go to this website and use the projector calculator and it will show you the throw distance needed for a certain size screen.

Be aware that if using a LCD or DLP projector, having a larger screen size may increase the Screen-Door-Effect and the RainbowEffect, respectively.

3. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    Thanks for that info...
    I'm drawing up plans for a dream home that may be in my future and i'm planning on 16x13 for my completely dedicated home theater...big enough? I want 2 rows of seats, one on a riser. Thanks
    Jay

4. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

like seth said, if you are going to a 106" screen and you want two rows you may need some more space another 2 or 4 feet in length will do it though. 20x13 with a 106" screen would be fine with 2 rows or seating

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

There's a good discussion here re: seating distances. Re: room dimensions try if possible to make them uneven and not multiples of each other. 8' and 12' are both multiples of 4. 12' and 15' are both multiples of three. If you could vary the width or depth a bit that would help the acoustics.

I'm curious why you're running 4:3.