Optimum Light Conditions for RPTVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_G, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

Okay hello! I have a few questions...

I am kind of short on money, and I'd really like a widescreen TV, and since I'm short on money, I'm stuck with getting an RPTV because the Direct Views are out of my budget. After going to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. I've noticed that RPTVs really really aren't that great. You couldn't see from certain angles, the picture was blurry, the picture seemed kinda dark, like there was getting too much light going to it or something, kinda like the opposite of Game Boy screen with not enough light I guess.

My question is, is this normal for all RPTVs? I'm really kinda iffy on getting one if it is, because that is very bad. Do I have to watch TV in the complete dark? Can I have lights on in my room? Can the sun be shining through my window?

| ___

2. Miguel Paredes

Yes the sunlight will be a problem. Ideally, you'll want dim lights all around.

Although I must say that after removing the protective screen on my Toshiba, daytime viewing (read: sunlight) is very acceptable. I often watch with windows open during the day.

Nighttime viewing is still much more awesome, though.

3. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

at night will it be as clear as say a direct view would be?

4. Miguel Paredes

Assuming it's properly calibrated, my opinion is that it will be better than direct-view tvs. Again, that's my opinion - don't want any wars to begin... [​IMG]

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Viewing any kind of TV, RPTV, direct view, should always be done in subdued lighting, not in a sunlit room.
    If the room brightness is quite high, you have to increase the contrast and brightness to levels that severly shorten the life of the TV set components, namely the CRT's down inside. Restaurant and bar owners often don't know and don't care when a station logo or the word "MUTE" becomes a permanent shadow literally burned in at one corner of the screen.
    For RPTV the contrast should be at a third or less when the set is new (set this before connecting the antenna or DVD player). Often the set comes from the factory with the contrast all the way up which also makes the bright parts of the picture a little more blurry because of a phenomenon called "blooming".
    For people sitting way off to the side, RPTV does seem quite dim, but direct view has its disadvantage, the curvature of the screen makes the picture look very distorted at such a viewing angle.
    Very small RPTV's (under 36" for either their 4:3 or 16:9 pictures), tend to look grainy due to rib pitch, which is analogous to dot pitch. Very small direct views (under 15 inches and not computer monitors) also tend to look grainy due to dot pitch.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Dane_D

Dane_D Extra

Bias light may also help, I have 4 windows behind my viewing area which reflect on the screen. I bought some blockout blinds "fashionable for the wife" and a 15" 6500 degree bias flourescent light from cinemaquest.com that I have placed behind the TV so it lights up the wall behind the TV. With all of the lights out except the bias light and the blinds closed, the RPTV looks amazing. The blacks look darker but the colors seem brighter and clearer. I think it is just that my eyes are not staining so much, but if it that's what it takes....[​IMG]

7. Robert Francis

Weren't there other things to see at Hooters?

8. Dane_D

Dane_D Extra

Good Point!!

9. Al_G

Al_G Auditioning

Well, I was there with my girlfriend, so.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]