What's new

Optimal settings on Malata N996 for JVC D-series TVs? (1 Viewer)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Just received my new Malata N996. Having problems trying to properly setup the N996 for the 4x3 JVC AV-32D201 TV. This TV can do the anamorphic squeeze via service menu (it's not a perfect squeeze since a 16x9 picture is about 1" too tall).
Should I set the DVD player's TV setting to 16x9 and squeeze the picture on the JVC (by adjusting two parameters)?
If you have a 4x3 squeezable TV, I would be interested in your settings.
Should I even consider making XY adjustments at this point? If done, I presume that this should be done at the end during the final tweaking.
Thanks for any help.
Dave
P.S. I have reviewed the following post:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ght=malata+4x3
But I am still confused about the differences between "scaling" vs. "squeezing". Can anyone help?

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Moderator,

Would you please add a "?" to the thread title? Thanks.

Dave

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
I always set the Malata 16:9 for anamorphic movies and let the TV set do the squeeze. But of course, you'll need to set it to 4:3 for non-anamorphic.

I like use the X:Y scaling for non-anamorphic widescreen movies, stretching the Y coordinate and then letting the TV set make the squeeze.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I forgot your question about TV settings.

I have a 4:3 Samsung Tantus Digital TV that can be set to 16:9 with a touch of a button on the remote. Then maybe in your case it'd be easier to set the Malata to 4:3 always.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
It may be easier to set it to 4x3 on the Malata...but you will lose resolution. It is best to set Malata to 16x9 and let the display device perform the squeeze.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Do I have to set the XY scaling with respect to each OAR of the movie? In other words, one setting for 1.85:1 and one for 2.35:1. More importantly, how does one correctly adjust the XY scales?....should I get a 1.85 DVD, a ruler and some masking tape and do a trial and error proecedure on tube screen itself? And do the same for a 2.35 DVD?

Dave

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I also have the 32D201, here's what I (occasionally) do to squeeze the image. I'm assuming you know how to get into the service menu.
- Go into the 'picture' controls in the service menu and write them all down. Eventually you will change one by accident, and you'll need to know what the default setting was.
- Set #41, V. Size from its default 35 to 0.
- Set #42, V. S CR from its default 15 to 63.
Don't forget to set the DVD player to 16x9 output, and you're good to go. This works for any anamorphic aspect ratio. Be sure to make some screen mattes to cover the video noise at the top & bottom of the screen.
I hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else.
Cheers,

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Kris, but I already know how to squeeze the JVC TV. It's the XY scaling on the Malata N996 that I have no experience. Furthermore, since the squeeze on my JVC is about 1 inch too tall, I was wondering if I could fix (or improve) the aspect ratio with the XY scaling.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks