What's new

Optimal settings for PS3 & Panasonic SA-PT670 (1 Viewer)

emergeent

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Hello, I have a Panasonic TV TC-P50S1, a Panasonic Home Theater SA-PT670, and a PS3 which I have had successfully connected and running for two years. At Thanksgiving, I updated the PS3 and since haven't been able to get the sound from the PS3 to the receiver using the optical cable so I can have surround sound with Bluray movies. I assume I changed something while fiddling with the PS3 settings. I have the manuals and just don't seem to be able to figure out the appropriate settings for both the Receiver and the PS3, or my cryptic notes from when I set it up. I am currently using the factory defaults for the receiver with the following connections: PS3 via HDMI to the TV PS3 via Optical Cable to Receiver Receiver via HDMI to TV - for DVDs The Optical does output red light when connected to the PS3. I don't know what PS3 Audio or PS3 BD/DVD Audio setting I should use. I have tried the methods listed on my manual and on the new PS3 online manual. I can output sound and video to the TV from the PS3, but would prefer the surround from the receiver. I also have a Wii connected to the TV without issue (or my children would have mutineed by now). Oh, and I don't wish to spend any money to upgrade to a new receiver. Can anyone offer any suggestions of how I should set up the system to get surround sound from the PS3? Thank you for your consideration.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Jeremy, welcome to HTF! Without checking the manual for your receiver/DVD, and just looking at PS3 settings, you have gone into Audio Output Settings and selected Optical Digital, yes? Then select the audio format of Dolby Digital. That should work. If not, make sure the optical cable is plugged in with a click on both the PS3 and the receiver. (Ok, I checked your receivers manual, and it sounds like all the connections as you describe them are as they should be.)

emergeent

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Thank you for the reply. I have removed and reconnected the Optical Cable, regrettably I am still having problems. Here are the settings I have selected on the PS3: Video Settings > BD/DVD DRC > Off Video Settings > BD/DVD - Audio Output (HDMI) > Linear PCM (this to the TV and works fine) Video Settings > BD/DVD - Audio Output (Optical) > Bitstream Mix Audio Output Settings > Optical Digital > Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch., (Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz & 48 kHz are automatically selected) Audio Output Settings > Audio Multi-Output > On Audio Output Settings > Keytone > On (not able to hear it through the receiver, only able to hear it through TV when HDMI is selected) Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks