What's new

Optimal frequency range for Fronts and Center? (1 Viewer)

johnnyutah

Grip
Real Name
riley
Hi all,

I'm looking into purchasing a audio system for my HT. It is for movies and sports primarily and some tv. No gaming and not really music except for concerts on dvd and such. My room is 20'x12' with 7'2" ceilings. carpeted floor and the TV on the long wall.

I'm doing a 5.1 system and can only wall mount the speakers so i can't buy bookshelf or towers. I have a limited budget, and am trying to figure out if there is a specific frequency range to look for or that is considered "optimal" for the fronts, center and surrounds.

I'm looking into the Def tech 600, Energy Classic Take 5, an onkyo set up and the Klipsch Quintett III. The Def tech in Magnolia sounded like they are lacking depth to them and not sure if its the system or their frequency response.

here are their approximate specs for fronts and center:

Def Tech 55k-30k
Energy 110k - 20k
Onkyo 55k - 50k
Klipsch 120k-23k

As i understand it, the fronts and centers are the most important (especially center) as they carry the majority of dialogue and sound. The normal freq range of the human voice is between 80k and 2-3k. Should this steer me towards a freq response on the lower side for fronts and center?

plus with explosions, punches, kicks, etc.. don't i want my fronts and center to reproduce some of those lower freq's and not rely solely on the subwoofer? I know you should go with what sounds good to you but i am just wondering if this matters a great deal...

Thanks so much for any advice or insight!!!!!!!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The key is that you really want to cross your sub over at around 80Hz to prevent localization of the sub. So, ideally, you would want all your speakers to be flat well down below 80hz so you have a smooth crossover. With that said . . .lots of people cross over to their sub at 100Hz or 110Hz or 120Hz and are perfectly fine with it. If your sub is in the front of the room, or if you have two subs in the two front corners, localization becomes less of a concern anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks