What's new

Optimal Apt HT Setup? (1 Viewer)

JulioL

Auditioning
Gretetings,
I'm in the process of getting a low end home theater system set up but I'm not sure if I'm utilizing my living space correctly for such a setup.
I'm using a Panasonic PT-47WX49 TV with Energy Take 5+1 (On Order) speaker system and a Pioneer VSX-D709S (On Order). I live in an apartment buliding but due to the setup of the building, I only have neightbors upstairs. All four sides of the ground level where my apartment is at shares no walls with any of the tenants.
Here is a copy of floor plan and my expected placement of all my equipment. I'd appreciate any input anyone might have on the setup.
floorplanv2.gif

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nice graphic!
the only thing i might do is spread out your front speakers. i think that might increase the soundstage some.
i think your sub is in a good place, but you may want to consider some experimentation with it. some locations work better than others.
i hear an often used trick is to put the sub where you're going to sit, them crawl around the floor until you find the spot where the bass sounds "best". that's where you'll want your sub to go...hopefully that sweet-spot will be somewhere reasonable.
also, if possible, you may want to put your couch a little more forward. that'll allow your rear speakers to be a little more "behind" you for a diffuse effect.
btw - welcome to htf! :)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I'll second that "nice graphic."

Any chance of reversing the position of the seating and the object of your attention? It looks to me like if you did that, you could definitely get more separation into your mains. Also, if you pull your couch out from the wall some (it would then be the 8'5" wall), your surrounds would have more room behind you.

I'm probably no one to give advice, seeing as how my own living room is laid out, but I hope this helps.

JulioL

Auditioning
Thanks for the compliments.

I might try switching the TV/Front Speakers/etc. and the Couch around. I'm a little hesitant because though unmarked on the drawing (took an hour for me to measure and make to scale in Photoshop... I'm anal that way), there are windows on both sides. The side with the TV is a southern exposure and I wonder if I get enough light to cause a problem reflecting off my TV screen during casual TV use. It's untested so I'll see what I can do there.

As for pulling the couch out, I'll definitely give that a try.

Thank you all for your input.

JulioL

Auditioning
A follow-up on this, I've finally received all my equipment but am a bit indecisive about how my final setup should be. I'd like to get this finalized before I start investing money in cables.
Here are the three layouts I'm working on (I'd post the pics here but they're pretty large):
http://home.earthlink.net/~jlicea/ht...LOORPLANV6.gif
On this layout, the surround speakers are mounted on the wall. I worry that with the closeness to the kitchen/dining area, some of the sound might get misdirected. I also wonder if placing the bookcase right next to the speaker that way will have an affect on sound quality.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jlicea/ht...LOORPLANV7.gif
This is my current furniture setup. Unfortunately, this setup doesn't allow me to set the mains as wide apart as I'd like them to be.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jlicea/ht...LOORPLANV8.gif
This is a pretty good setup; however, there is an in-wall air conditioning unit about a foot above one of the surround speakers which concerns me.
Other minor concern: I'm still not sure how I'm going to hide speaker wire in my apartment. Feeding it through the wall isn't really an option so I'll have to hide it along the bottom or maybe purchase one of those long white cable managing tracks to reduce the eye-sore factor.
Any feedback on hiding the speaker wire as well as the apt. layouts would be appreciated.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
i like option 3 the best
for the speaker wire, you have a number of options.
1. Home Depot sells 16 guage, white, flat speaker wire - this can be tacked to the baseboard so that you won't see it.
2. if you have carpeting in the room, try stuffing the above speaker wire (or regular 16 guage)UNDER the baseboard - you'll be amazed at how much room is usually under there
3. buy the white, tubular speaker conduits at Home Depot - it can be painted and it has a sticker on one side to connect it to the baseboard. there are also lots of 'elbows' and stuff for running it up the walls and around corners.
Hope this helps

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I like option 1 best, as it looks like the most likely to avoid reflections from the windows you mentioned earlier as a concern. I would consider moving the mains from where you show them to between Bcase1 and Bcase 2 (L, obviously) and between Desk1 and what I take to be the window (R). Right now you show them in a line, which I gather from what I have read here to be sub-optimal (if you saw my own setup, you'd know I'm doling out some do-what-I-say-not-what-I-do here :)).
I agree with Paul about the Wiremold, but unless your walls really are white, consider the off-white version. Also consider when you mount it not peeling off the entire strip of covering from the sticky backing, but use a razor blade to cut out two-inch long strips every foot or so. You'll probably have enough sticky stuff to hold it in place, and you'll really appreciate not having ten feet of sticky stuff to clean up when you move out and they want to keep part of your security depost. :)

RichardG

Auditioning
Hello,

I was looking at your options and I also live in an

apartment that where the living room opens up to the dining room. I think I would recommend OPTION 1 if your rear speakers are monopole since one of your rear speakers will fire in the dining room making it sound different from your other rear. Also the bookcases are good to have to absorb some of the wall reflections from the front speakers. You may want to move one bookcase to the other side in order to have both speakers benefit from this. btw, i've read monopoles are best used when room configuration are irregular like most apartments are. a rectagular room meant for ht would be best for dipoles.

OPTION 3 would be optimal if your rears are dipole. wall reflections are good for dipoles to get the full benefit being immersed in the soundfield. you may have to toe on one or both of your front speakers.

hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks