OpticOne/AviaPro vs. Colorfacts Pro

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GetGray, Jan 20, 2005.

1. GetGray

GetGray Extra

Hi Guys:

I'm looking for some objective input on a calibration package. I ruled Sencore out. That leaves me with OpticOne or CF.

I will use it for myself, family and friends, but primarily for my own DLP FP.

Most folks with CF like it and will swear by it. I can't find as many folks (hardly any) that have the OpticOne setup. Except One who really likes his.

The quality of the calibration is all that is important to me. Speed, automation, reports are nice, but of secondary importance.

What I find odd is hardly anyone will publicly say what they like about OpticOne vs. CF. I've had a few private mails one way or the other, but everyone is beeing too polite I think. I wish I could find a knock down drag out thread but it isn't there.

I had narrowed my selection to the OpticOne/AviaPro bundle when an informed user said a big dog at Widescreen review had "serious issues" witht he OpticOne. So they I was, back on the fence, not knowing what those serious issues were, but that they did come from an experienced publication editor.

Does anyone know what those issues were/are/or might be? Any disadvantages to OpticOne vs CF?

Help?? Off line if necessary?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You need to get something clear ... the Optic One is a software/hardware combination that is fixed ... while the CF is just a program by itself. Depending on the hardware configuration that you take with the CF, it can have an advantage over the Opticone or it can be inferior to it.

The importance is in the pod part ... it can be the same piece of hardware that Sencore markets ... sort of the second generation analyzer pod ... which is sold as an all displays pod. The Optic One Pod is a third generation device that is much more responsive than its predecessors. (This does assume that they have not updated to the latest pod)

If you take the CF with the eyebeamer instead of the pod ... then it is considered to be better for front projection work reading reflected light sources off screens. It is also more suited to all the different displays technologies ...

The eyebeamer is a spectrometer ... while the Pods are devices that try to emmulate spectrometers.

Both devices have benefits and drawbacks. I use my CF with the eyebeamer for LCD and DLP and other non CRT technologies ...

My OpticOne is used for plasma and CRT technologies and other direct reading devices. It's main advantage is that it is fast and gives lots of good readings on the darker end ...

The CF eyebeamer is very slow on the dark end ... and it could also give very erroneous results if you do not know how to use it properly. It has idiosyncracies ... that you figure out only with use ... such as it will fall out of calibration sooner than you might think or the program tells you.

There is a short discussion on these devices over at the Keohihdtv site ...

The programs themselves are both very usable with the CF favouring a more flashy presentation than the OpticOne, but you can get results faster with the OpticOne ... and build the calibration graphs quicker.

Regards

3. GetGray

GetGray Extra

Thanks Michael:

Yes, I did understand about the sensors. At least that there is a choice and I have read about the Beamer vs. the pod with CF.

I'll go read about it at Keohihdtv.

Thanks again,
    Scott

4. GetGray

GetGray Extra

Based on the input from here and elsewhere, I've purchased the OpticONE system. Since I had such a hard time finding information about it, I started a small forum specifically for it's users. If you are a calibration newbie like myself or better, a seasoned calibrator, I invite you to join the Hometheater-forum-neutral mini forum for the OpticONE/ Progressive labs calibration tools.

My apologies in advance to the HTF admin if another forum post is bad form or against the rules.

The forum is on yahoo groups (sorry about the ads). The developer, Cliff Plavin has joined and will participate more as he finished the new OpticONE manual.
    It's at:
    groups.yahoo.com/group/OpticONE

Thanks to all here for their input and help.

Best,
    Scott