Optical vs. Digital Coaxial?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Walmsley, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Colin Walmsley

I just ordered the Denon 1600, and was wondering what would be the best way to connect it to my 1603. I would have thought an optical cable would be best, until I read somewhere that many prefer using the coaxial connection. Any suggestions? What are the audio benefits of each.

On another note.. what analog cables should I use for the 5.1 analog? Just regular audio interconnects? Thanks for the help.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

They both work just fine. No sonic differences.

3. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I have heard quite a few people just use decent priced video cables for the 5.1 and buy 6 of them. try out accessories4less.com. Look at the AR pro series video cables.

4. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

i dont believe the 1600 has a coax.......

5. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Generally speaking, when you have the choice between toslink (optical) and digital coax, the digital coax sounds better. Both carry a digital signal, but the optical signal goes through 2 extra conversions (electrical->light and light->electrical). The optical connection has shown to have more jitter problems.

[​IMG]

6. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Colin,

The Denon DVD-1600 only has an optical output. BTW I notice no sonic difference between optical and coaxial on my Panasonic RP82.

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Colin,

I have never heard any sonic differences between the two - and I'm talking on really high-end equipment. Optical should be just fine.

Enjoy your DVD-1600,

Reg

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

No difference.

I'd go with coax.

9. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

If there were no difference's they would not put both. On some receivers if you conncet both optical and coax the reciever will default the optical and go with Coax. So I quess the receiver knows which one is the better of the two(COAX). Meridian does not even offer OPTICAL connection on their DVD player as far as I know. Any pro will tell you go with the COAX every time: Generally speaking, when you have the choice between toslink (optical) and digital coax, the digital coax sounds better. Both carry a digital signal, but the optical signal goes through 2 extra conversions (electrical->light and light->electrical). The optical connection has shown to have more jitter problems.
    As I posted once before![​IMG]

10. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Quote:

If there were no difference's they would not put both.
    ------------------------

I believe both are offered to ensure wider compatibility moreso than and any real or imagined difference in sound.

11. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Colin, no audible difference and a 75ohm video cable is usually cheaper than a Toslink cable.

Dave, whatever differences there are (jitter or whathaveyou), there is NO audible difference.

The redundant connections on many players are there to give it more versatility in connection to the receiver or pre-amp.

12. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

13. Patrick R.E.

Patrick R.E. Agent

There is a difference (coax and optical)
    -When your using the optical cable your using de sound decoder of your dvd player or you cd player.
    -When your using the coax cable your using your receiver or pre amp for sound decoder.
    A lot of people wont "see" the difference but there is a difference but in some situation your better with coax and in some other your better with the optical.
    In all high end pre amp and cd and dvd player there will all ways be connected by coax cable because they use the cd and dvd player for transport only so the pre amp will do the job of decoding of the sound.

Sorry for my English... this is my second language.

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Your English is good but I question your logic. If you connect a cd player to a receiver using optical cable the receiver does the decoding, not the cd player.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  16. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Not true. With Coax and Toslink, your processor decodes the digital data stream.

Here is my .02

Differences:
    -Toslink transfers the signal with an optical stream, not voltage.
    -It is immune to elictrical interference, a benefit if you are sending over a long length.
    -The signal goes through additional signal processing, converted from voltage by the DVD player, into an otical form for transmission, and then back into voltage by the processor. (considered a disadvantage by most)
    -Damage or scratching to the the lenses on either end of the cable, or a severe bend in the cable can result in signal degredation.

What I mean is, a $20 toslink and a $20 Coax will probably sound the same. More expensive Toslink will most likely be built better, but not sound better. All toslink pretty much sounds good to me. Differnet Coax cables will yeild different results in sound. There are terrible ones and great ones. This has been my experience.

I think Coax is far better, but it can take double the investment over Toslink to hear an appreciable difference.

17. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

18. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

One of the more informative threads I've seen on this subject can be found

here.

All the best,

Tim

19. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

No appreciable difference. Either will do.

20. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

if there is no audible difference, go with the one that's cheaper and that's at least Scientifically better or at least THEORETICALLY BETTER: the digital coax.
    you have no downsides to opting to go with coax, unless you plan to run the cable for long distances.

I personally have heard differences on my system with different coax cables vs. optical cables. In two and multi-channel critical listening sessions, I have always favored the coax over optical. THe differences were much harder to tell with movie soundtracks.
    When auditioning various optical cables, I could not really tell a difference between them.

ELbert