What's new

Optical vs Digital audio output. (1 Viewer)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I don't think that the 6 analog channels have anything to do with DD. The 6 channel out is basically there to take advantage of SACD/DVD-Audio discs. No DD decoder necessary for those if played in 5.1 channels.

John S

Senior HTF Member
While tru ChuckSolo, I have never seen one with 6 analog outs that did not have a DD decoder. I know a fair amount of people using them this way that had older nicer Pro-logic AVR's that offered the 6 channel input.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Every player I've ever owned had m/c outputs, and back in 97 there were no DVD-A or SACD players on the market. 100% of the players that I've seen that do DVD-A and/or SACD also have built in DD/DTS decoding as well.

As JohnS notes, m/c outputs and built in decoders were originally included on players because when DVD was released, most receivers did not have built in decoding (or digital connections in most cases). While the receiver manufacturers were working on the next generation with digital connections and built in decoders, that particular generation of Digital "Ready" receivers added m/c inputs to utilize the signal from a player with built in decoder.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Both you Johns are absolutely right, I only meant to point out that since the 6 channel outputs are analog, they really don't interact with the DD or DTS decoders.:b

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
?? If you use the internal DD/DTS decoding of the player, the only way it can be passed to the receiver is via analog. Analog is a decoded signal that basically only needs to be amplified; a receiver essentially becomes a preamp (more or less volume control) and amp. It is assumed with a multichannel input that bass management has already taken place at the source.

The digital connections pass a signal that still needs to be decoded by the receiver/processor.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i decode everything at my m/c player. the only thing my receiver decodes is my cable television audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks