Optical output problem on Sony LCD TV??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt.R, May 3, 2005.

1. Matt.R

Matt.R Auditioning

I am finally trying to hook up my surround sound after purchasing a new Sony 55” LCD TV. Because my receiver is a few years old (Kenwood 1080VR, very early 6.1 unit), I am running my connections through the TV, and I want to use the TV’s optical out to send all audio to the receiver. I think this is just the easiest way of doing it. I am using a rather expensive Monster Cable optical cable, which I know works, because I have run it from two other sources to the receiver successfully.

It won’t, however, work between the TV and the receiver. When I run it between my Directv 10-250 and the receiver, I get a nice, bright red glow from the end of the cable, and same thing when run from my Sony 975 DVD deck. When hooked to the new TV, however, I only get a dim red glow from the cable. Is this a sign that the TV optical output isn’t working right?

And before you ask, yes, I have shut off the TV’s speakers and turned on the TV’s audio out in the TV’s menu. I have also tried both the fixed and variable output with no luck.

Can someone please tell me that I don’t need to return or service my brand new TV??

2. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

The optical out on the TV will only output on a digital signal. The dim light from the cable is normal; as soon as you tune to a digital source the light will turn bright red.

So basically the optical connection only works with the QAM tuner (digital cable) or the ATSC tuner (DTV/HDTV) built into the TV.

3. Matt.R

Matt.R Auditioning

That makes sense...thanks for the reply. I guess I will be running a few dozen feet of audio cable after all.