Optical Out or 5.1 out??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gerald LaFrance, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi, I would like to know what would be the better output for sound quality playing DVD-A and SACD on a Denon - 1920 dvd player, the 5.1 channel out on the right side or the Optical out as seen here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gc4S3b1...display=XL#Tab

The reciever has both 5.1 and Optical in, but not sure which would be the better connection I am guessing the optical but I just wanted to make sure THNX!! [​IMG]

2. matt mettin

matt mettin Auditioning

For DVD-A And SACD You need to use the 5.1 channel out to the reciever. For DVD-V optical.

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Strange as it may seem, DVD-Audio and SACD do not allow for the transmission of multichannel lossless or uncompressed digital audio data via SPDIF [coaxial or optical] channels. Some models of player provide an IEEE 1394 [FireWire, iLink, DV, &c] connector for this purpose. The best you can get is Dolby Digital AC-3 or dts Zeta, which may concievably be provided as an alternate track on DVD-A but certainly not on SACD.

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    OK if I use the 5.1 out for the DVD-A & SACD, can I still use the Optical for watching movies?? or would everything go thru the 5.1 out?? THNX[​IMG]

I found these at RAM: where I am getting my other cables If I use these cables will it play BOTH SACD & DVD-A??

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/sacd_cables.html#sp6

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

The optical digital connector will pass the compressed Dolby Digital AC-3 and dts Zeta signals just as they do with any other DVD player; you may well prefer to decode these in your HT receiver in order to get the benefit of the setup options and other advantages available. Whether you can play SACD and DVD-A does not depend on your cables, it is a question of player compatibility; but if you want to hear the audio from either format, you are going to have to pass it through a set of cables like that, from the 5.1 output of your player to the 5.1 input of your receiver. The 5.1 output operates in just the same manner for both SACD and DVD-A.

6. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    I am going to get the Denon 1920 DVD player it has both DVD-A & SACD capability.
    I am a bit confused as to which connection to use for DVD Playback, I thought the optical out would be the better connection to use for sound quality vs the 2 audio out connection. So are you saying use the 2 Audio out and let the Reciever handle the DTS, Dolby Digital format ??

Sorry for the NOOB questions been out of the loop for WAY too long!!

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Use the optical connexion for audio from DVD-Video: thus your receiver will decode the digital signal, which is better for your setup. Since you are not allowed to do this with DVD-Audio and SACD, use the 5.1 analog connexions for them.

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

you can decode movies and redbook CDs wherever you prefer in this situation.

many people like to decode them where they consider their "better" DACs to be; player versus receiver. many people decode where they think it sounds best. many people take advantage of the fact that they can decode movies and CDs in 2 places, and utilize one set of settings in their player for DVD-A/SACD (and maybe CD) playback and another set of settings in their receiver for movie (and maybe CD) playback.

i decode everything except cable TV with my player.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Except for Denon, Pioneer and Sony's proprietary hi-res audio digital links, sacd and dvd-audio HAVE to use the analog outputs only because of pirating concerns. This paranoid decision was mandated by the music companies........who seem to not realize extremely good copies can still be made using the analog outputs. [​IMG]

BTW: make sure to check what the Denon's crossover point is for the hi-res signals-many players have been found to use really strange frequencies which can cause some quite crappy sound to result. The worst one so far IMO: the (no longer manufactured) Pioneer DV-563 universal player. It reportedly has a crossover point for dvd-audio all the way up at 200Hz!! I am betting this is why so many people reported that their dvd-audio titles have a very boomy bottom end. [​IMG] Sacd isn't much better, being set at 120Hz.

10. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi Lance here is all the info I found on the DVD player can you check to see if it is OK. I would really appreciate it as I do not know. It is a Denon 1920 dvd player and I plan on getting a Sony 698 HT Reciever

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-e6lNzZa...033DV1920B#Tab

THNX ALL for your Help I am learning so much here at HTF!! [​IMG]