optical or digital coax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kamal_K, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

should I use the optical or digital coax on my dvd player?

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Yes. [​IMG]
    Really, either one will work fine.

3. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

common question...In fact I asked this once too. There will be peopke that will point you to the same detailed overview of the two. Basically, they both transfer digital signals. The optical is immune to interference from other devices but if bent sharply could create some problems. Also, if any dust gets on the connector it could cause some noise. The coaxial cable is a normal cable that must be shielded to prevent interference. It is much more sturdy. These also tend to be cheaper.

So for the CLEAREST possible sound optical would be the choice but the problems it has with little things holds it back. BOTH cables will do just fine in terms of producing high quality sound.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    With the cables being of equal quality, ergonomics is the deciding factor for me. In other words, which of thee two is more sturdy. The coaxial is the more sturdy of the two and will stand up to bending, plus the ends are not as fragile.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...826#post559826

5. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

thanks alot guys.

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I've also heard (don't know if it's true) that the conversion of the signal from electrical to light and then back makes the optical connection not as desirable from an audio standpoint.

But if we're only talking transmitting a DD/DTS bitstream, I don't think it would make any difference whatsover. Personally I go w/ coax when I can because it's cheaper and more durable. IMO there should only be coax; there's no reason optical should even be around. This would make things easier for receiver and pre/pro manufacturers as well, because then they could just include X number of coax digital inputs instead of trying to balance between more optical than coax (but how much more??) and then if most of your devices are coax you're SOL once you use up the coax inputs.

Sorry for the rambling....

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Coax SPDIF data is modulated so the digital data is not pure 1's and 0's either. There is conversion from pure binary data either way.

8. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

9. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor