What's new

optical or digital coax? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
common question...In fact I asked this once too. There will be peopke that will point you to the same detailed overview of the two. Basically, they both transfer digital signals. The optical is immune to interference from other devices but if bent sharply could create some problems. Also, if any dust gets on the connector it could cause some noise. The coaxial cable is a normal cable that must be shielded to prevent interference. It is much more sturdy. These also tend to be cheaper.

So for the CLEAREST possible sound optical would be the choice but the problems it has with little things holds it back. BOTH cables will do just fine in terms of producing high quality sound.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I've also heard (don't know if it's true) that the conversion of the signal from electrical to light and then back makes the optical connection not as desirable from an audio standpoint.

But if we're only talking transmitting a DD/DTS bitstream, I don't think it would make any difference whatsover. Personally I go w/ coax when I can because it's cheaper and more durable. IMO there should only be coax; there's no reason optical should even be around. This would make things easier for receiver and pre/pro manufacturers as well, because then they could just include X number of coax digital inputs instead of trying to balance between more optical than coax (but how much more??) and then if most of your devices are coax you're SOL once you use up the coax inputs.

Sorry for the rambling....

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Coax SPDIF data is modulated so the digital data is not pure 1's and 0's either. There is conversion from pure binary data either way.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I had interference problems when I used coax. Optical, on the other hand, has worked flawlessly for me.
I'm getting interference problems with my coax, and have traced it down to fluorescent lighting interference--specifically, audio dropout whenever I flick the switch to turn the fluorescents on. It seems that the ballasts which fire up the fluorescents causes signal interference with the coax digital audio cable (RatShack Gold Series, BTW); once the fluorescents are lit however, there is no dropout. Since my DVD player doesn't have a optical out, I can't readily test as to whether or not optical is less susceptible (if not entirely) to such interference; however, others have commented that possible interference from fluorescent fixtures (not those drop-in replacement bulbs meant to replace incandescent ones) should not be a factor with optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks