Optical or coaxial, which is better for my DVD player??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_T, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

My processor (Marantz AV-560) has only one optical connection but I have a DVD player and a PS2 that would love to call it home. My DVD player has both an optical and coaxial out so I was thinking I would use the coaxial for my DVD player and the optical for my PS2. Would I lose anything in terms of sound quality by using the coaxial instead of the optical or would it be the same? I'd like to keep the best connection for my DVD player if possible.[​IMG]

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

They very likely will be indistingusihable. It would be easy to proove this to yourself so as not to have anxiety about choosing the coax for your DVD player. Hook the DVD player to the receiver with both connections. Then, using the receiver's remote, switch back and forth. Better yet, have someone else switch back and forth and see if one sounds better that the other while being blind as to which is which. If you cannot tell a difference or the coax sounds better to you, go with your plan. If the optical sounds consistantly better (unlikely but possible), then use the optical for the DVD player and hook the game up using RCA cords.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I was going to tell you to search it up (it's an endless debate) but that was before I read your post. [​IMG]
    Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it at all. What matters is convenience so Coaxial for DVD and Optical for PS2 is the right way to go. Besides coaxial is better. I've been told that, I've read about that and I believe it. But definately not something to stress out about. Both will work fine.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Bits are bits, it doesn't matter what the connection is, or what quality of cable it is, it's all the same

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

8. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I'll give it a try. Thanks for all your help everyone.!![​IMG]

9. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Hi gang:

10. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Brian,

Just to make sure I have this correct in my head...so on my Yammie DSP-A3090, I would hook up the DVD component video cables to the "DVD" input jacks, and hook up an optical cable to the optical "DVD" input on the back of the Yammie. Since the "DVD" input on the back of the Yammie does not have a coaxial input associated to it, I could use the coax input for the "CD" input on the back of the Yammie. Then, to compare the two, I just push the appropriate input button on the remote (i.e. "DVD" to listen to optical, and "CD" to listen to coaxial). Is this right?

11. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

12. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I have a question about digital coaxial cable. Can I just use a simple cable with RCA connectors for this purpose?

I'm not concerned about quality at this point, since I just want to use it to test a digital output that I'm not sure works.

13. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

You can be almost positive that the coax connection works, not sure why there's a question about that.
    Yes you can use a standard RCA, but for digital you should try to stick with a video coax cable with RCA connectors. Digital requires a 75ohm cable-video cables do a fine job(so does a coathanger for that matter [​IMG] ).
    Sam

14. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

It probably does work, but it is a digital coax output from a DVD-out card in my computer. The analog output on the same card has a very low output level, resulting in a very quiet sound, even with every volume at max. I am just wondering what the digital out would sound like, since my documentation says it outputs at a fixed level. I'm getting my first digital-capable receiver next week, and rather than buy a new cable to test my computer's digital out, I was just wondering if I could use a standard rca cable that I already have.

Thanks for the input!

Todd