Optical or Coaxial Digital audio cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Bates, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Mark Bates

Mark Bates Agent

I just asked about what type of RCA cable to use, but now that I think of it I am going to be upgrading my reciever soon and that will have optical digital audio inputs that my current reciever doesn't have.
    Should I just wait until I upgrade and go optical or is coaxial just as good and get them now?
    If I do go optical are there any good 3ft cables for not a lot of money? Say around $30 or under.
    Thanks again,
    Mark

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Mark, you've just opened a real can of worms. The optical vs. coax debate is one that can go on for quite some time. If you do a search you can find a lot of info on this already.
    As for inexpensive optical cables, look at Accoustic Research Pro Series cables. They have 3 and 6 foot cables for around $20. http://www.accessories4less.com/ and Lowe's carries these.

3. Mark Bates

Mark Bates Agent

Thanks I was just reading all the old threads. I got a little ahead of myself and should have searched first.
    It seems from what I have read in the price I am willing to spend and the way I am going to use it that Coax is my best choice. They are a little cheaper then what you posted @ $11.79 each.
    I did decide to go with Accoustic Research Pro Series cables because of the recomendations from this board.
    Thanks,
    Mark

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have used both and could not tell the difference in my largely HT-only system.
    But looking at the mass of interconnects, power cords, and speaker wires in back of my rack, that thin fiber-optic cable looked...wimpy. I was almost afraid the other cables would beat-up on it when I was not looking. [​IMG]
    An ordinary 75 ohm video cable tends to be more robust/reliable/cost-effective.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You should not be able to hear an audile difference. Digital is digital.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Bob, not that I want to enter the debate about optical vs. coax, but the AR Pro optical cables are not wimpy by any means. They're a lot thicker than Monster's and some of the cheap brands. They're about as thick and heavy as the coax cables.
    Mark, just in case you didn't see this in another thread, I understand the AR Pro composite video cables are sometimes sold for less than the digital cables, even though they are essentially the same cable. Any 75 Ohm cable should work for the coax digital connection.

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer