What's new

optical or coax? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
hello there, let me start off by saying that it's great to be a new member here. :) I'm not really new to the HT scene, just a little new to all the new stuff available. Here's my question. On my sherwood receiver, when using the coax input from my cable converter box,a light that says "Digital" appears on the display of the receiver, but when I use the optical input for my DVD player, the same display doesn't appear. Is there a Digital signal coming from the cable box and not from the DVD player? Also, are there any preferences to either connection? Thanks for all the help.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

LewB

Screenwriter
Welcome John !
You might want to check the menus on your DVD player. You might have to enable the optical output or the Dolby Digital signal.
BTW, model numbers of all the equipment involved helps a lot. You'd be surprised how many others here probably own the same equipment you do.
As for preferences for optical over coax, it's all 1's and 0's either way. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find many discussions about this. I guess I'd lean to the coax because of the fact that you don't have to be too cafeful in the way you handle it and for it's retention. Coax connectors seem to stay put better than the optical ones. Helps when you futz around with other stuff, no surprises when something doesn't work.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Lew. The Sherwood is a RD-6108, DVD/VCR D300P, and cable box is an Explorer 2000. By the DVD menus, do You mean the menu when the movie first starts? I've checked those, and they are set for DD 5.1 If the "Digital" display doesnt come on, is it not in 5.1? Thanks again.;)

LewB

Screenwriter
No, I mean the DVD player setup menus. Check your instructions, there is usually a setup menu for the DVD player itself. It may default to having the Dolby Digital turned off.

Iver

Second Unit
Johnny:

Is there a Digital signal coming from the cable box and not from the DVD player?
With no analog connections ("R/L Audio Out" from DVD player) between the DVD player and the receiver, do you get audio output when you play a DVD or CD? If so then the digital connection is working.

If you do not get audio in this case, you may need to program your receiver to activate the optical input and/or you may need to make a change in the DVD player settings. In some cases on A/V receivers you need to activate the video switching to get the receiver to take the digital signal from the DVD player, even though you may have no video connection between the DVD player and the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks