Optical or 5.1? Which is best?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by IvorG, Jun 30, 2006.

1. IvorG

IvorG Auditioning

I have a Marantz 5600 AVR and a OPPO 971 DVD. I can hook up the audio with either a optical digital connection or they both have 5.1 connections that can be used. (Actually the Marantz is a 7.1 and the OPPO is a 5.1). Which connections would give a better audio for the DVD.

Thanks

Ivor

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It depends.
    Do you need bass management? Can the marantz apply bass management to the 5.1 analogue input? (The oppo supports small and large speakers, but uses a fixed crossover). If not, spdif is more flexible.

Does the Marantz have a lip-sync adjustment? The Oppo allows a user to delay the audio by 10--50 ms, but this is, iirc limited to the analogue output. Some oppo users need this feature.

Do you have any dts-es discrete discs? The discete form of dts-es only works over spdif.

Do you plan to use the Oppo for dvd-audio? The spdif will only carry a stereo signal, and it may be downgraded from 192 kHz/ 96 Hz, depending on the whims of the artists and/or oppo's engineers. To get 6 channel audio, you'll need to use the multichannel analogue outs.

3. IvorG

IvorG Auditioning

WOW.. Its more complicated than I expected. But then I'm a newbie at this and it all seems complicated.

The Marantz has bass management and a lip-sync feature which I will never use. I donot plan to use the OPPO for dvd audio. Just movies. I have no dts-es discrete discs.

Also,I will be getting will be getting the AV123 x series speakers when they come in.

Thanks for the help

ivor

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Or, at least you hope to never use...

Anyway, if you don't plan to play DVD-Audio, go with digital. Keep the multichannel inputs free for sacd, bluray, or hddvd.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Dolby Digital EX as well as dts-ES discs only work via digital. In terms of this player, if you won't be listening to DVD-A, there's no reason to use the analog outs - the receiver almost always has better bass management than the player, so use digital.