Optical interlinks- pricing matters?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkJH, Feb 24, 2004.

1. MarkJH

MarkJH Extra

So I want to buy some optical audio cables to connect my HD decoder and my DVD player to my new digital receiver. I go to Amazon.com, find the right section, and look at the prices.

Is there any reason I would spend $99.95 on a cable while one for $14 seems to have the same specs?

This is very confusing. Light is light, the supposed beauty of optical digital is that the signal either reaches the destination or it doesn't, and as long as it does the data is perfect. Am I so wrong?

Mark

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

3. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

Bought these cables a couple weeks ago. They are the same ones selling on Ebay for $40+ and by "boutique" companies for $80+

They are thick. Heavy. VERY well-built. Definitely worth $15 just for bragging rights.

Is there an improvement in sound quality? I couldn't tell. Then again, I'm not a "golden ear" plus the 10% hearing loss on the left side doesn't help. They sure look nice though. [​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I only wonder what dealer cost is...I'll bet it's a buck or two in quantity.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

[​IMG]

This is the actual cable you get from MCM. Definitely worth the $15.

Kevin

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Does glass really make a huge difference ? I need an optical cable to go from my Sony Megachanger to my receiver, and a head to head demo of my Monster THX1000 fibre optic versus his Straightwire Digital Coax cable (I can't remember which one, but a couple hundred dollars worth).

$15 sounds like a good investment...what does glass do over plastic (?)?

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Lower attenuation losses. At the lengths we generally use, a couple of meters, it really doesn't matter since there isn't enough loss to cause problems. But ya gotta admit, $15 is cheap and if I find it cheaper that'll be my favorite. But two and sell one to your friend (ex-friend?) for $50.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

So then what should I use for my DVD player? A second one of these glass toslink cables or some DIY digital coax concoction?

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Drew the total cost with s/h is $35US. Still in line with bottom of the line Monster at FS.

Kevin

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

$20 S/H? Seriously? It can't possibly be (in reality) that expensive...they must be marking it up because we're in "Canada"...in my experience, there is little variation in shipping fees. Bah.

I can get 60% off Monster (indirectly), which is the only reason I've up till now used their cables exclusively. Good value for 40% of the price. The analog interconnects and speaker wire anyways. Not really sold on the digital stuff.

Too bad you can't DIY an optical cable.

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well then just buy an inexpensive single video cable. Just make sure it's got a 100% copper center conductor.

12. Greg B

Greg B Auditioning

They have raised the prices on this optical cable. Probably due to the demand created by this forum. Oh well, I think they are still worth it.

13. Andrew JC

Andrew JC Stunt Coordinator

14. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Bah they doubled the price of it. Now it's subject to import fees across the border. $#(%#(#@(!

[​IMG]