Optical Digital Out on DVD Players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I don't see it on the Sony 615. What models have Optical Digital Out?

2. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Does the 655 have Optical Digital Out?

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Norm: Suprisingly enough, it looks like Sony's dropped the ball on the 615. It apparently does not have an optical connector, but the 655 apparently does (click back view on both to see).

I would suggest looking at a company besides Sony, though. Generally speaking, I think that Sony charges about $50 for their name alone on a product. This generally means that a Sony unit will be SLIGHTLY less feature-rich than other DVD players in its price class.

I'd also suggest looking at whether or not you really want a 5-disc changer. I'm not positive about this, but I've heard that the 5 disc changers usually aren't as technically sound as most 1-disc units are. With the advent of MP3 decoding on these players, you may want to ask yourself whether or not you'll really NEED the carousel functionality.

I'd appreciate some feedback from others, though. I may be blowing hot air, but such is what I've heard (on here, I believe) about the 5-disc changers.

4. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

The DVP-NC615/B does not have optical.

The DVP-NC655P/ does have optical.

Hope that helps.

5. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

Depending on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend, I'd recommend the Panasonic CP72. It's going to cost more but it's one of the better carousel players IMO.

6. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I'm disabled and must have a changer. I was thinking of getting a Panny but I read on this forum it might not be good for everyday use.

7. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I currenty use S Video & Optical hook ups.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Norm, have you considered any of the "megachanges" on the market? There's a new one from SONY that has been announced which holds 400 discs. Something like that may be helpful for you.

Haven't seen you around on the forum for a while, good to hear from you. [​IMG]

9. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

Hey Norm!!

I can't speak for the latest and greatest players, but I have a Sony 650 (with Wega 36) and my dad has I think the Sony 660 (with Trinitron 27). I use component video and my dad uses S-video (because his unit doesn't support component out). I wasn't happy at first with his unit because the picture was weak, but the VQ really came alive when I installed a Better Cables S video instead of the L-Cheap-O S video he was using. Even on my 36" the S video looks awsome (larger TV who knows though). Both DVD units are a couple of years old and have played over 2000 movies each without any problems at all.

We're both also EXTREMELY HAPPY with the CD quality since these units have 2 lasers, one optimized for CD and the other for DVD.

I'd audition everything you can and pick the unit you like the best, regardless if it's $50 more. Better than than to buy something you might NOT be happy with.

Just my 2 cents.
    John

10. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Hi Philip, I don't come here as often as years ago probably due to the fact that I don't buy as many DVDs anymore, I use Netflix and I'm kind of waiting for HD-DVD.

My Sony 670 broke & now I need a new player [​IMG] . I was leaning toward a Panny, but I'm so use to Sony I was going to buy a cheap one to hold me over until a recordable changer comes out. Now I'm leaning towards a Sony 655.

11. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I just bought an open box Sony 600 DVD player to hold me over until I buy the real player I want. This 600 model has an Optical Digital Out, but yet the 615 doesn't, go figure!