Optical Connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I have a Kenwood HTB-504 home theater in a box system. Today I popped in one of my DVDs that has DTS in to see what the hype is about. And I can't get the reciever to go into DTS or DD modes, I think that it is because I am not using optical connections. Is this right?

The TV that I have doesn't have s or component video connections so I am just using RCA cables to connect everything, I believe this is called composite video? It's conneced like this.

I have one single RCA running from the monitor connection on the reciever to the yellow rca on my tv.

I have a set of 3 rcas running from the back of my DVD player to the DVD connections on the reciever.

And finaly I have the set of three rcas coming from my PS2 to the video 2 connections on the reciever. (I'm saving the video 1 connections for when I hook up my vcr)

I want to know two things, I am using all analog connections, is this preventing me from hearing Dolby Digital and DTS? And will I notice a large quality difference by moving to the digital connections?

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Mark,

First off, welcome to the forum!

Yes you DO need to use a digital cable (either optical or coax) in order to get DD or DTS. Unless of course your dvd player has built in decoders and your receiver has a 5.1 channel input. But in my opinion running one cable for all the audio would be easiest. The just make sure you dvd player is setup to output the dts bitstream (check your manual) and that your receiver is setup to use the digital input as opposed to analog. I hope I covered everything but if you still have some questions feel free to ask!

Dan Hine

3. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Dan, when using the digital optical cable, would that mean that you would still have to use the video (yellow) cable and just leave the L and R audios un hooked? I am confused about this.

Thanks

Mike

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

I'll make sure the reciever is set up for digital audio. I had to set it up for analog for it to work for me in the current configuration. It'll be easy to set back.

Can anyone vouch for the quality difference?

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Michael, it is my understanding that the optical cable only carries the audio signal (it replaces the red and white RCAs) you will still need to have the yellow rca pluged in because it carries the video.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

7. Mark Fitzsimmons

Thanks alot Dan, you cleared this up for me.

8. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, you cleared it up for me too. [​IMG]

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

No problem guys. Glad I could help!

Dan Hine