1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Optical Connections-I know you guys can answer this one since its probably easy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaptDS9E, Feb 12, 2002.

1. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

So you know i never used optical connections before so bare with me :). Ive had my home theater for a while. I use a Sony Dav-S300 system. It is the dvd player with reciever with DTS/DD decoders built in. I was thinking of getting a region free player for my room to get some farscape/andromeda dvd's and maybe a few others from overseas, but then I realized I wont be able to have the surround sound in my room :) So I was thinking of just putting the player in my home theater . I realzied the back of the Sony system has a optical Input and the player I want has a optical output. So if I use a toslink cable between the region free player and the sony system it will act as a reciever and do the surround sound?

Thanks ahead for your help

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You have to find you manual for that Sony unit and see if it decodes Dolby Digital.

CD Players also have optical outputs using something called "PCM". Your optical input may be for an external CD player only. If this is the case, it will NOT work with a DVD player.

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

thanks bob for answering. The one thing is if it is a reciever wouldnt it be able to take the optical input to use DD and DTS?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, if the unit contains a built-in DVD player & decoder, why would they put in an optical connector for a second DVD player?

Thats why I'm worried the connector might be PCM only. Check the manual, or hit the Sony web site for the features list.