Optical cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik J, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Erik J

Erik J Extra

I'm looking for a decent toslink cable in the $30 range. Outlaw has their new PDO cable for $20 plus $10 for shipping (I don't understand why it costs $10 to ship the cable, but they're firm on that), and AC4L has an AR HT-180 cable for $15 plus shipping, and an IXOS 106 for $33 with free shipping. Anybody used any of these? Is the AR cable pretty good for $15? I'm going to be using this with a Sony CD player going into an HK AVR-7000 receiver. If I like it, I'll probably be getting one for the dish as well.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm assuming the DACs in the AVR-7000 are superior to what's in the cd player (your basic 5 disc player from circuit city/best buy/etc). The optical connection will also allow me to use the bass management on the 7000. I'm currently using low end monster rca interconnects.

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Erik,

The only toslink cable you mentioned there that I've used is the AR Pro--so can't compare between those three brands.

I have compared the AR Pro against another brand--didn't hear any differences in sound. There was a definite difference in build quality, however (AR Pro was the better).

Just my opinion, but I'd recommend purchasing here either based on [a] price, or (since the prices are similar and I expect they're all built well) which is prettier. [​IMG]