Optical cables length

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Eric Samonte, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

A friend of mine has to run sound a good 25-30 feet from source to reciever. I've been seeing runs of that length and more on optical cables. Since everything's digital, am I right to assume its OK to do this?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Dolby digital signals get delivered in packets like internet protocol (PCM from CDs are a bit different). There's plenty of information. opinions and references to posts and sites here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...readid=240492.

I'd be concerned about the fragile nature of optical and how many bends are in the length and the sharpness of those bends. If that is a concern, they do make optical to coax converters (places like markertek.com). My HD Tuner is in the main system on the other side of the wall to the bedroom system. The coax output is to the main system. The optical goes to the bedroom and since there would be several hard twists to it I have a 1 meter cable going to an optical to coax converter before it goes to the bedroom.

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't have any preferences to coax or optical though the former is cheaper so...
    I have the optical to coax converter in mind as well if I find tight bends and stuff.
    Good read on those threads....thanks again.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well how's about an 8 meter toslink for under $20 at http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_patchcords.htm or if you want the ultimate in a robust cable, go for the armor jacketing for $60 and you can run a car over it, do the polka with Rosie O'Donnell.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Chu,

I know it's off topic, but thanks so much for posting that link... I've been looking for those people recently, and couldn't remember anything about 'em except that they had good prices!

Leo

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yeah, made in the USA too! Go figure! Guy's a pleasure to talk to.