Optical cable?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Donald_S, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

I just got a phone call from the outfit I bought my receiver from offering to sell me an official Pioneer optical cable for $50. I bought one from a cable seller in the Northwest for a fraction of that. He of course tried the 'That cable is no good, you need this one' routine. But it did get me to thinking, is there a significant difference in the quality of optical audio cables? Thanks.

Take care,

Don

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Obviously, some cables will be better constructed than others, but that should not affect the signal quality. I mean, they all have fiberoptic wire inside which transmit light pulses...so the difference is really going to be in the casing and connectors. Like I said, some are better than other and perhaps some will last longer than others. I have a $30 monster optical cable and a $9 radioshack cable and you wouldn't know the difference.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

no. Of all the components in your system (DVD player, receiver, speakers, the DVD itself, etc) the optical cable is the least significant. The biggest difference in those cables is the commission earned by the guy that sells it [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The quality of the cable is determined by the lens - polish, quality of the ferrule, etc... and the jacket - thicker, better protection of the fiber. The difference in sound can be very subtle though, and while I feel $50 is reasonable for an optical cable, as long as your setup is working now, I wouldn't bother changing it out. I also personally prefer coaxial digital.

5. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

Wow! Thanks for the *quick* response guys. It's really appreciated.

Take care,

Donald