Optical cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I only have two optical connections on my receiver, but I have need for three (XBOX, DVD, CD player). Right now I am switching the DVD and XBOX optical cable when I need them. So the one not being used has it's optical cable just sort of laying out in the open. Any chance of harming the cable or hurting performance? I don't see any other way to do this because I'm not going to switch them completely between the two and I don't want to use the XBOX as my DVD player.

2. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

There do exist optical switchers out there (I have no idea how badly they degrade signal quality). Even Radio $hack has one. But, why not just play CDs through your DVD player?

Me

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Well I have a SACD player so I could just use the analog connections, but I like using DPL II for listening. My cd player does sound slightly better on cds so that is another reason to use it. If it has no real impact then I'll just keep changing the connection.

4. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Is there any reason why you can't use DPLII on the CD analog inputs? DPLII was designed for VHS Pro Logic, so it should also work for PCM CD audio.