Optical cable options from a DVR

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Eric_Whit, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Eric_Whit

Eric_Whit Auditioning

Hello,

Newbie here...I have a Yamaha 5750 receiver and I recently got a dvr from Time Warner the 8300, not the HD. I am not sure that I am getting the full potential from the digital cable.

On the back of the 8300, there are 4 audio outputs, two left, two right (RCA jacks). Right now, I have rca cables coming out of 2 of them directly to my recvr, a left and a right. There is also a 5th RCA audio output on the DVR, by itself, that says "DIGITAL AUDIO".

Where would this single output plug into my recvr??? and is this the true digital surround sound output? On my recvr, the only other option I see is a optical input and the output from the dvr is not optical.

My recvr lights up the Dolby ProLogic not the ProLogicII or the PLx and only the front left and right speakers light up on the recvr which makes me believe I am just getting a left and right sound only.

Any ideas? THANK YOU

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

You are right that the red/white only transmit stereo. There are many HD shows that broadcast in dolby 5.1, and even some non-HD shows (directv broadcasts some premium movies as well as shows like Entourage in 5.1, even on their non-hd channels). To get this sound you need a digital connection between your AVR and cable box. The two ways to do it are optical audio and digital coax. If you are certain that neither your AVR nor cable box has a matching connection, probably the easiest thing to do would be to call the cable co and see if they have another box with an optical audio out. I'm not aware of any kind of adapter that might convert digital coax to an optical signal, but it might be out there.

Edit - I just googled "optical audio coaxial adapter" and got a bunch of product listings in the $18-25 range. No promises on how well they work, but someone is trying it. I'd still see if maybe the cable co has a different dvr, but looks like you could get an adapter.

3. jonny h

jonny h Agent

Hey dude-

It looks like you have a digital coax (RCA) connection labeled "CD" on your receiver. If you're not using the CD input at all you could plug it in there. What do you have connected to your receiver?

4. Eric_Whit

Eric_Whit Auditioning

I do have that "CD coax input". I noticed it, and I do not have anything plugged into it. I thought I could not use it b/c then I would have to have the rcvr set to CD, not TV and it would not work but I am going to try it out when I get home.

All I have plugged up to it is the tv, dvr and dvd player.

Thank you very much sir.

ERIC

5. Eric_Whit

Eric_Whit Auditioning

Yeah, I was going to solve it all together and get the 8300HD box which has the optical, but time warner wont do it until I get a HDTV, go figure.

Either a converter/adapter or this CD input will probably work.

I appreciate ya'll taking time to look at it.

Eric

6. jonny h

jonny h Agent

I have a Yamaha receiver (different model). If I use any of the audio only inputs (like CD or Radio) it passes the last video signal through. For instance, if I'm watching a DVD and then switch over to the radio, I have the DVD picture on my TV while I have the radio audio coming from my speakers.