What's new

optical cable from dvd to receiver ?? (1 Viewer)

sam_sark

Grip
sorry a newbie question..can i connect my optical cable from dvd to receiver only to get video & sound or do i have to connect the analog outputs of video&sound as well....i connected the optical cable ONLY and i could hear the sound but no video ??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You will get no video via optical, it is audio only. It will carry any and all forms of audio from the DVD to the receiver. You will want to connect the video portion, preferably S-video or component (3 RCAs) directly to the TV, then you should be all set.

Make sure to go into your DVD's setup menu and set your digital audio out to "bitstream", and turn on DTS. :D

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
The optical cable is for sound only.

You'll need to hook up your video to the TV with either component (3 rca type plugs), composite (1 rca type plug) or S-video (multi-pin plug that looks something like a computer keyboard connector).

If your TV has component video (might be marked Y, Pb, Pr) use that; otherwise, use S-video. Composite video is the lowest quality and you should use that only if your TV doesn't have component or S-Video.

Good luck,

adam

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hey Sam, welcome to the forum.
Actually the optical cable is just for sound. You connect this to the optical input on your receiver (remembering to tell the receiver and the DVD player via menus that you are using the optical connection for audio). With the optical digital connection there is no need to connect the analog audio outs from your DVD player.

The video signal is passed from your DVD player to your TV using one of three types of cables, depending on the capabilities of your TV. The three types are composite (ok video), S-Video (better video) or component (best video).
I hope this helped.

*Edit* beaten by a milisecond :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks