Optical Cable.. does it matter which one?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RaviK, Jul 3, 2004.

1. RaviK

RaviK Agent

I am wondering if there will be a significant differences in terms of audio quality between different optical cables? I am seeing a 3' cable at PE for $2.80 against 6' RCA cable at a local electronics store for $17.80. Since my DVD player is "right under" my AVR, cable length is not an issue.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I'm sure that will be fine.
    I've heard that some have a plastic fiber inside it, and some have a glass fiber inside it. Probably why one is more expensive than another. As quality goes, you're still dealing with a beam of light, through either one.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I got a cheap one once, and it didn’t fit snuggly into the receptacle on the components. In fact, it was so loose it was worthless.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I use the pe daytona audio ones and they are great(replaced my pos monster that didn't fit snug and was 4 times the price)

5. BrianML

BrianML Auditioning

i bought the monster thx (low grade) for 20 bucks. Tried it on 5 different pieces of equipment and the connecter was loose on all of them making the cable worthless. I second the parts express da cables.

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I'd try the $2.80 cable first and see how it sounds. If it fits snug into the equipment, you shouldn't have a problem. If it is loose and gives you bad sound, then either return it or just treat the other cable as a $20.60 purchase.

It might matter more for higher end audio equipment, but I purchased a glass fiber optic cable and found very little difference with the equipment I use ($500 Yamaha receiver.)

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I had a girlfriend like that once, Wayne. If you want to shoot the moon on an optical, you'll find a glass one over at MCM for around $30 or so.