What's new

optical cable differences and splitters (1 Viewer)

Tony DL

Auditioning
I was wanting to know what the differences were between the cheaper optical audio cables and the more expensive. I know what the ad's say (thicker jacket, gold plated, sturdy, etc.). What I would like to know is- the sound quality of the different cables. Is there enough sound quality to pay the extra money for the premium cables? Also I have a receiver that has only one input for the optical audio cable. I have two sources (DVD and Digital cable box)that I need to "plug" into the receiver. I have found "cheap" splitters and was wanting to know if these splitters (especially the cheap ones) took away from any of the sound quality. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Tony

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I was wanting to know what the differences were between the cheaper optical audio cables and the more expensive.
We have covered similar ground in another thread, but I have found there to be jitter differences between lower and higher quality optical cables, assuming you are talking digital connections.

In terms of audio, jitter can have huge sound impact.

In terms of video, there is also an impact but how noticeable may depend on a large number of things.

In both cases, the higher the resolution of system/TV, the bigger the cable differences will make.

I would recommend Kimber or Audioquest for less expensive optical cables.

As for splitters, I have not had much luck except with video. Sonically they are another circuit that degrades the sound.

:)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Radio shack optical splitter/combiner should be avoided. Audio drops out once or twice every minute. Not trustworthy.

-ELmO:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks