Optical audio vs 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dirk Grace, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

Getting ready to add a progressive DVD player to my HTS, and wondering which connection provides the best sound.
    Is it the digital optical, or the 5.1 connection?

Also wondering if it is better to run the DVD's component video through my Onkyo reveiver, and then to the Toshiba. Or, just straight to the TV?

Thanks,
    Dirk

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    When choosing between the 5.1 connection vs optical cable as long as you use quality cables on either side the sound quality should be pretty much the same. I prefer using the optical connection because it's fewer cables to deal with.

Assuming the DVD player is your only component connection it would be best to run the signal straight from the DVD player to the TV. Fewer connections means fewer opportunities for the signal to be weakened. If you need to see the on screen display from the receiver on your TV I would recommend connecting the coax video out on the receiver directly to an unused input on the television and switching to it whenever necessary.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

Thanks for the good insight. Looks like this is going to be a great forum for getting HTS help. Sorry I did not give the specs for the system I am putting together in the original thread. Here they are:
    Toshiba 42H82 HDTV compatible - Still waiting for Cyberteria to ship it.
    Digital Cable - Also waiting for the cable company to install the unit.
    Philips Progressive Scan DVD953AT - Eagerly awaiting a TV.
    Sony SLV-789HF VCR - Any recommendations on a S-VHS VCR?
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6-channel A/V Receiver - Replace my older Onkyo TX-SV70Pro, that is still a fantastic receiver.
    Pioneer CLD-2090 Laser Disc - I know, I know. But I still love to watch Blade Runner on this baby.
    5 Speakers + TV for front center

5. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

My two cents...Since you are making seemingly major purchases in your above choices, I'd get a center channel to match the other speakers you are purchasing. I tried the tv speaker/center channel approach as an experiment with my Toshiba 50H82 and wasn't pleased at all. I was very glad to have and un-box the matching center channel five minutes later.