Optical Audio Selector???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WaltL, Aug 18, 2001.

1. WaltL

WaltL Extra

Does anyone sell an optical audio selector with more than 4 outputs? I have bought the one from Radio Shack but like I mentioned, it has only 4 outputs from a 1 line input. With the probable addition of some new equiptment, I am definitely going to need more than 4 outputs for my receiver!
    Thanks!

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    MSB makes the Digital Director with six inputs, but not all the inputs are toslink, some are coaxial. See msbtech.com . Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

3. WaltL

WaltL Extra

All right. Thanks!

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Nirvis has a modular box with up to 16 and 16 (8 unique) outputs.
    www.nirvis.com
    -Robert

6. WaltL

WaltL Extra

Thanks for the help!
    Gil-What's the web page of Sound Professionals?
    Thanks!

7. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Walt, I have one of both. I have the Audio Authority unit with S-Video connectors. For the Money it's a good value. It's build quality leaves some to be desired. It's box is plastic and light. It's worked well enough for me. The day I got it I thought I was going to have to exchange it. The little rounded connector that accepts the power cord and DC box, well, either the plug or connector were out of size. It took me about a half hour to force it in. The unit has worked well enough switching between an MD and LD.
    The Digital Director on the other hand is built like a rock. I think it weighs around ten pounds. It looks and feels like a really nice piece. It won't flip over or wiggle. 4 coaxe in, 2 toslink in, 2 coaxe out, 1 toslink out. It's not without fault. My Pioneer PD-65 doesn't like it and drops out occasionally when run thru it. The DVD, MD, and LD players I've used it with have all performed flawlessly. Best wishes!
    "...choose wisely..."
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Hmm...the Audio Authority looks pretty good to me for $99 and with prioritized autodetect. No remote issues to deal with either. http://www.yourdigitalhome.com/ssa1117.html A couple of mounting holes on the back would be nice to just screw it into the rear of the A/V cabinet.
    What is the street price on the Digital Director. I thought it was $300 bucks new - ouch!
    Walt - soundprofessionals.com is their website.