What's new

Optical Audio cable lag time? (1 Viewer)

marbletulip

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I recently solved the problem of getting my JVC TH-C50 to work as as the default sound sytem for my cable, DVD and Xbox audio, but I now have a new problem.

I have the JVC hooked into my Samsung LCD via HDMI for the DVD playback and I have an optical digital cable running from the optical OUT on the tv to the optical IN on the JVC. That way, whatever is playing on the tv has the audio sent to the stereo speakers. However, on about 90% of the cable channels, the actual audio is lagging behind just slightly less than half a second where it should be according to the video source - definitely noticable and definitely annoying.

Will a different brand of optical cable possibly solve this? I'm using a $15 Phillips. Is there something else I can try?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It's not the optical cable, it's the TV. What is the source of the TV signal? If you are using a set top box for cable, you are better off running the audio directly from the set top box to the JVC. Since the TV is having to digitize the analog audio feed in order to send it to the optical out, there will be a lag on all but the true digital audio channels. Feeding the optical from the cable box should fix this. If you don't have a set top box, you may be out of luck and have to go straight analog from the TV to the JVC.

marbletulip

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
OK. That's what I was thinking later last night.

The signal path is:
wall > Motorola HD DVR set top box > TV (via HDMI) > JVC sound system (via optical).

There is an optical OUT on the cable box, as well, so I'll try to run the optical directly.

Thanks again.

- Aaron

marbletulip

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Running the Optical cable directly from the cable set top box to the JVC unit solved the audio lag problem. You just choose "DBS D" on the JVC and the audio comes through perfectly.

So now I'll have to hook-up the Xbox as: Component video direct to TV, Component audio direct to AUX IN on the JVC. Forgive my ignorance, but will the component cables carry a 5.1 signal? I'll have to select the "AUX/VCR" option on the JVC to hear the Xbox audio and to me that seems like it will just be a left/right stereo signal, not surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks