Optical and Component Cables

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cory A, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Cory A

Cory A Auditioning

Im looking to invest in some Optical and Component Cables but not sure what im exactly looking for. Im considering going to my local FS and buying the cheapest ones. Should I consider investing in something better or it doesn't matter. Optical/Component Cable is a Optical/Component Cable right? probably not but any information provided would be helpful. Im running a Yamaha 5740 with JBLs.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Checkout your local Factorydirect or www.factorydirect.ca and pickup the AR Master series cables. Just make sure you call the store before you go to see if they have them in stock since they are a discount clearance store.

Kevin

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Component cables are just 75 Ohm coaxial cables, either termintated in RCA or BNC. They're also used for the "digital audio output" from DVD players to AV amps, DAC's etc. Also used for Composite video.

Optical cables are Toslink to Toslink (for home audio) plastic or glass.

£10-£20 for a Toslink is fine- higher quality cable will have thicker walls to prevent damage to the fragile inner.

£30 for a 3M set of Component is about right, or £7 for 1M single cable. Don't bother with Monster or any that charge £100+ for a set of component cables.

4. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

5. Edward_M

Edward_M Agent

What are the chances of an audio dropout via an optical cable? I read somewhere here that a non magnetically shielded or whatever coax cable is one cause for audio dropouts. I believe this is what I am experiencing right now wherein whenever I turn on a light or any other interference comes in, I get audio dropouts. Does using optical cables eliminate this problem (assuming of course that other factors of audio dropout are not present).

6. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

I had this problem on my old Onkyo receiver. It would dropout when the heat pump cut on or light switch being turned on. I bought a Panamax 5100 line conditioner and it seemed to solve my problem.